Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: 25NL: I have NFD, am I spewing?

OP nh.

also I rate myself as a "good opponent" at 50NL (compared to most of the 50NL players that is)

and I don't recall folding many overpairs.

You can't force opponents into folding Overpairs on the flop in 25/50NL against any but the nittiest W/T players around, so quit trying.

We can fold AQ+ like this (which pads the winrate nicely) and are at worst a 2:1 dog when called, overall +EV.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:59 AM

you shouldn't be focusing on "is it +ev to call this?" you should be asking "is it better to push here or call?"
Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 AM

Why is it better to push?
Old 06-09-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it better to push?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing is unexploitable.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain calls the flop with all of his pairs, hero has roughly 45% equity on this flop.

Board: 4c 7c 6d
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 45.314% 44.86% 00.45% 11991 121.50 { Ac9c }
Hand 1: 54.686% 54.23% 00.45% 14496 121.50 { TT+ }

I'm not going to type out the math, but the gist is that due to the amount already in the pot, hero can actually expect to make $0.70 on average when called.

[/ QUOTE ]

question: he is putting 22 to win 10 so it's a bit worse than 1:0.5 which needs +66% equity to be +EV if i'm not mistaken.

pls could you tell me why it nets .70 in your opinion with only 45%equity(it didn'T seem as if you already had the folding equity in that calc)

thx
Old 06-09-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you shouldn't be focusing on "is it +ev to call this?" you should be asking "is it better to push here or call?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true (I think you meant to ask "is it +ev to push this?" at first, but what you wrote is true anyway). And this is the reason that a flop call is a legitimate option. I agree that a push is +EV, but it is still possible that a call is even more +EV. (I worked for quite a while on the math, but the math behind even the simplified scenario I was working on was very complicated and included a lot of assumptions. I scrapped my work, which ultimately seemed too speculative and estimate-heavy to be reliable, but before I did that, calling was working out to be a little better than pushing based on the assumptions I was using. However, those assumptions did kind of favor a call to begin with, I'll admit, which is why I scrapped my work. But, if somehow we could assume just, say, an AA-77, AK range for Villain and could also assume he would bet just 2/3 of the pot again on a blank turn, while also betting 2/3 pot with his PPs on a club turn or ace turn, and while sometimes checking UI AK on a turn blank and allowing us to steal with a turn semi-bluff, then the case to be made for a flop call is a strong one. In fact, under those circumstances, I believe just calling the flop would be about $2-3 better than pushing, on average.

Edit: However, given that this Villain is capable of 3-betting light preflop, I suspect that in this hand a push is probably at least as good as a call. We don't have very much folding equity versus an AA-77, AK range (with that range, Villain will have an overpair or better 39 out of 51 times), but our folding equity improves as we start adding in hands like AQ and AJ, and, meanwhile, we don't really mind winning immediately versus, say, KQ.