Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Equity or Implied odds?

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, Gonzo, there seem to be some significant rounding errors between the percentages listed on the tables on that page, and from what PokerStove produces. I'm tired and maybe missing the obvious somewhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they are a little, good thing you're checking though. You also have to remember that your holding affects the liklihood of villian's possible holdings.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 AM

Thx for the good links.

But the range link only shows up to 32% and i'd really be interested in a good chart of higher up ranges/percentages.do you know anything or in generall, is there a good way to figure out the range for the percentages myself?

Thx
Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Pancho, that would be a waste of your time. As the range increases, the total # of possibilities spreads out exponentially. That would be over kill and hand ranges start to turn into fingerprints. Meaning almost every player will play slightly differently. Aside from some small generics like (oh it's SUITED rags, so I'll just min-raise again).
Old 06-07-2007, 06:51 PM

I love the charts (the Rick James video, not so much.)

I wonder, has anyone ever compiled a list of how various hands stack up against the ranges? Say, how does A-J play against the top 10, 15, and 20%? How about A-Qs? How about 9-9?

Obviously, you can do this yourself with Pokerstove, but I wonder if anyone has already done the grunt work of making a comprehensive list?
Old 06-08-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the charts (the Rick James video, not so much.)

I wonder, has anyone ever compiled a list of how various hands stack up against the ranges? Say, how does A-J play against the top 10, 15, and 20%? How about A-Qs? How about 9-9?

Obviously, you can do this yourself with Pokerstove, but I wonder if anyone has already done the grunt work of making a comprehensive list?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have. It takes about 2-3 hrs. Enjoy.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:08 PM

But wouldn't it just be SO MUCH MORE AWESOME for someone to, you know, give them to me?

I can't run pokerstove on my mac. I suppose I could use twodimes.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is something on hand ranges to give you an idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice find. Sorry for the newb question but the % at the end of the chart represent...?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice find. Sorry for the newb question but the % at the end of the chart represent...?

[/ QUOTE ]

NM it was staring me in the face heh.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What fraction of hands out of the total possible starting hands that this range represents. For example, if you know a player is only raising 5 percent of his hands, you can figure out what the top 5 percent of hands are and narrow down his holdings somewhat.

5 percent would work out to maybe any pair 9s or better, AK or AQ (there could be some variation - maybe instead of the AQ he is raising with 88 and 77 in this range).

A simplified way of applying this:

Say you have a good number of hands on a tight player, and your HUD shows he only opens for a raise 5% of the time. You have QQ, and are trying to decide on the best action... remember, he's very tight. He COULD have anything in that range... but you determine that your QQ vs the range itself is a 60-40 favorite.

If, say, you were relatively short you could usually push here, for example. Whatever, the point is that it helps to have a good idea as to how your hand stacks up to the range of hands an opponent will most likely hold, not just one or two hands.

THe PFR and VPIP stats combined with their associated ranges are very helpful in giving you an idea as to what kind of hands he could be playing vs what typ ehe cannot.

A guy with a VPIP of 40% is liable to show up with a lot more hands than a guy with 20% VPIP. Even then, you have an easier time in ruling out hands like T2o or whatever.

Narrowing it down a little more, when you combine PFR and VPIP you can get hints as to his holding based on what he doesn't raise with. If his PFR is 20 but his VPIP is 30, and he doesn't raise, you should be looking to see what kinds of hands he plays but doesn't raise with. Let's say (and this isn't realistic, BTW) that he'll raise with the top 20% of hands and limp the next ten percent. If he limps, you've got a clue that his holding might be in that little ten percent area.

This is all oversimplied, of course, because things change in the game and very few players don't mix things up here and there. Even a tight player might raise T9s once in a while.