Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 AM

Default why so much crazy gambling in the rebuy phase?

I understand that the correct strategy in the rebuy phase is going to be different from a regular tournament. My approach so far has been to play the rebuy phase like its a cash game. But I'm consistently seeing my opponents make huge overbets, and sometimes calling all-ins with mediocre hands. Is there any thought process to this at all? I'm happy to see my opponents making ridiculous plays but I don't understand why this style of play is so popular, and I've seen at least a few players doing this in every rebuy tournament I've played so far. So maybe there's something basic about rebuy strategy that I don't understand?

I'm talking about the $5.50 rebuys on pokerstars so this is small stakes and maybe the players are just bad in general. But still if the average player rebuys twice and takes an add-on, that equates to a $20 buyin and by my standards there's a decent amount of money at stake. Yet so many of my opponents seem to treat the rebuy phase like its play money. Are there valid strategic reasons for all the apparently crazy gambling I'm seeing? Or is my perception accurate, and somehow the availability of rebuys causes the table to go crazy?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: why so much crazy gambling in the rebuy phase?

I guess Im willing to get it in with mediocre hands in hopes of winning a big pot or two and having a good chip stack at break. If not, I still feel I am +EV with a min stack at break.

Edit: I dont go to the extremes like some people, like being the 4th person to call an all in during the hand and holding 94o
Old 11-29-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: why so much crazy gambling in the rebuy phase?

they think the big stack gives em the best chance but the fields are so big i don't think the first hour decides too too much. id rather play 4 pots in the first hour w the goods than throw my money away rebuying over and over. if the field is smaller i may agree w this strategy. most times even when they place itll be at a loss.