Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
I played a hand yesterday that went like this:

6 or more players in the pot for a flop of KT4 rainbow. I am holding KQo in the SB and didn't raise pf (probably should have but whatever).

I check and the guy on my left bets. At least 3 people call him and I check raise (I was hoping to check raise a late position better, but hey, you can't win them all). Everyone calls. The guy on my left is a drooling idiot stuck 600 in a 6/12 game.

The turn is a 3 of the fourth suite for:

KT43r

I bet out, and only the drooling idiot calls me. River pairs the ten. I bet out, and the drooling idiot calls again. MHIG.

The guy on the other end of the table (who paid 2 bets on the flop) proceeds to announce to the whole table "wow, played that hand like it was the nuts...just one pair...check raise....board paired, he didn't care, just kept betting". Then he shakes his head and has a quieter talk with the guy next to him about how I'm an idiot. The drooling idiot agrees with them, and pretty soon I can just tell the whole table is raring to come after me.

It was pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand isn't played particularly well by Hero either.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate why? I don't have a strong opinion about it but it's not clear to me where Hero made a mistake.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate why? I don't have a strong opinion about it but it's not clear to me where Hero made a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

he wants to raise KQo from the worst position against a giant field. T9s is a better raise in limit than KQo in this spot.

Then he check/raises a bet and 4 callers with top pair, 2nd kicker.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he wants to raise KQo from the worst position against a giant field. T9s is a better raise in limit than KQo in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree KQo would have been a very bad pre-flop raise, but Hero didn't actually raise, just thought about it.

As for the CR, wouldn't that depend on the game? In a game against skilled players, that's not a good value bet. But aren't there a lot of SSHE games where it's a good move to aggressively value bet with TPGK, because players will call down with Kx? Is this field too big for that to apply, and Hero just got lucky?
Old 11-04-2007, 02:21 PM

I play a spread limit dealers choice game (mostly O8) with this old guy, Al. Al's like 88 and completely senile. He honestly spends half the game asleep and mumbling about what happened in the 30s, no joke. He really is balls-deep, doesn't know what day it is, outside of his mind, crazy. He hates hold 'em. He says, "To play this game, you ain't gotta have a brain in your head, this is a damn dummy game."

Here's his strat though. Fold everything short of AKs, QQ, KK, AA pf, and pf, only raise AA, and the minimum at that.

Here's a hand I saw yesterday (sorry for no format, it's really just a story). 3 limps to him in the big blind, he exposes AdQd, mucks his blind violently and keeps muttering about how he hates the game. Flop AKT, two players bet and call. Turn J. Bet, raise, call. River J. As the guy with JT, looks at the guy mucking QT face up, while raking in the pot and says, "Man, I'm glad he didn't call w/ AQ, he would have made his straight!"

One of dealers open raised Al's bb once (single blind) from the button, and Al insta-folded QQ.

In a pot the other day, on a K42r board, all bet out in first position 1 dollar over the minimum. The table stops, basically unanimously states, "Al must have 3 kings," and no one can fold fast enough. Al cackles, mumbles to himself about the dummy game, and rolls over KK which he limped pf, as per norm.

Sorry about the tangent, but the comedy of this game forms around this guy. Every time he shows down a split hand, whether he scoops, takes half, or none of the pot, he cackles really loudly, and says in a parrot voice, "Oh, I shoulda had it all, shoulda had it all!"
Old 11-04-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please post this hand in MSL forum and see the responses of limit players. I think he played it just fine. I also think that you should STFU.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:25 PM

My personal favorite... "The cards are meaningless before the flop!"

About splash pots... I had aces a few months ago UTG in a 3-6 game with a $50 splash. So I raised, knowing full well that all the other players would hate me, complain about it and then call. No folds, flop a set, lose to a rivered flush in a ginormous 3-6 pot.

One lady, who lost and called down with something in the neighborhood of bottom pair, says, "I called you down because I wanted to punish you for raising before the flop on a splash pot."
Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Had an old guy tell me a hand where the whole table limped and he limped KK OTB and the BB went allin. He said he folded because one of the announcers on ESPN said you have to know when to lay down a big hand in order to win tournaments. GOLDEN.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please post this hand in MSL forum and see the responses of limit players. I think he played it just fine. I also think that you should STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Lolz at NL donks trying to analyze limit play. Hero's play is fine, but I probably would have just bet the flop. C/r is ok if you think a bet will come from very close to your left. I probably don't raise it offsuit (easy raise suited) either, but given all the donks limping with crap that would have been ok too.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Lolz at NL donks trying to analyze limit play. Hero's play is fine, but I probably would have just bet the flop. C/r is ok if you think a bet will come from very close to your left. I probably don't raise it offsuit (easy raise suited) either, but given all the donks limping with crap that would have been ok too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean if it will come from very close to your right.