Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Default $1-$2 Stud Hi, is pushing like this the right play?

7 Card Stud High ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.60 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.80 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.80 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (7.80 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (9.80 BB)

OK,this is a total newbie question. I am not sure if pushing like this increases variance, or is just spewing chips. Once I pair my door card I try to represent trips. On 6th street I keep up the pressure, knowing that if I get called I will probably need to improve to win, but I have a flush draw and two pair so I have a lot of outs, right? I am never sure how hard to push here when there is a good chance I am going to be called down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: $1-$2 Stud Hi, is pushing like this the right play?

The only question is really on 6th. You almost definitely need to improve to win. You only have 4 flush outs left, so 8 total with the boat outs, however improving doesn't necessarily mean you win the hand...seat 3 may have trips, though that can be discounted some because we saw a dead ten; more likely a diamond draw. Seat 4 could have 2 pair easily or maybe even made trip Qs. Knowing something about your opponents would help here. I suggest running some sims based on their possible holdings on twodimes and see what you come up with.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:52 PM

1) Is the converter broken? Whats up with seat 3's actions?

2) There is value in raising on 4th.

3) I like your play on 6th street, villain likely backdoored his way into a pair so you cannot check to represent a weak 2-pair. Also a c/r here is turning your hand over, the villain can find an easy fold. Betting is the best option.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Is the converter broken? Whats up with seat 3's actions?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, seat 3 disco'd and was declared all in on third.

I guess my biggest question is the bet on sixth. If I am pretty sure the villain is going to call me down should I stay on the gas or slow down?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 PM

His position means a raise on 4th may knock out the other two players, who he'd love to have call, so I 'd just call. Make me last to act and I raise it. Sixth street is just a check when the guy pairs tens, mainly because if he c/r you will not be happy and you can't have a huge edge here.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His position means a raise on 4th may knock out the other two players, who he'd love to have call, so I 'd just call. Make me last to act and I raise it. Sixth street is just a check when the guy pairs tens, mainly because if he c/r you will not be happy and you can't have a huge edge here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You raise because your cleaning up potential top-pair outs and you have an equity edge. The downside is sliming the field but you will show a greater RIO in the long run. If nobody folds we welcome that as well, every dollar that goes into the pot increases the hero's pot equity.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You raise because your cleaning up potential top-pair outs and you have an equity edge. The downside is sliming the field but you will show a greater RIO in the long run. If nobody folds we welcome that as well, every dollar that goes into the pot increases the hero's pot equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a raise better if you didnt have a dead ace and king out there. 1) you are less likely to hit top pair, 2) if they don't have aces or kings already, villains are less likely to hit top pair so might as well not try to drive them out of the hand.

Given the new info that one player after you is all-in already, a raise is is much more likely to make you effectively heads-up with the bettor which is not really what you want.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am seldom happy when I get c/r'd by a disconnected/all-in player.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 PM

You played this one well. I think calling is somewhat better than raising on both third and fourth. If there weren't an Ace and a King out, I'd lean more towards raising on both streets. Playing this one aggressively from fifth on might increase your variance, but it definitely increases your expectation, which is what I'm worried about. Nice hand.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:15 PM

Raise Fourth. You're in a limped pot with a solid draw against several opponents. Think of a couple of scenarios:

A) you call a small bet and the third man calls behind you.
B) you raise and both opponents call.
C) you raise and only the initial bettor calls.
D) you raise, the guy behind folds and the aggressor three-bets.

With A, you have to eventually out-draw two opponents to win a small pot, and you will not be getting appropriate odds to draw to the naked flush on Fifth.

With B, you may get a free card on Five if you brick, and having demonstrated strength you may win the pot if you make a small pair in-sight. In any case, you will have odds to draw, and you get more money in the pot with good equity.

With C, you will almost certainly get a free card if you want it, it becomes more likely that you can win with an Ace or King for one pair, and you have odds to draw to your flush, with only one player to beat whatever your final hand. Note that the 4th street profit (opponents'money) in the pot (two small bets) is exactly the same as in A, but you only have to beat one guy to take it.

With D, you have odds to peel for one more bet, and if you brick Five, you will be getting almost correct immediate odds to draw to the naked flush, and the implied odds may make that a good gamble if you think your man will pay off a raise. If things break as they did in the actual hand, you can stand almost any action.

As played, pairing your door on Five might make one player fold, but once he calls, the third man can now call in position (while that's a mistake, it's arguably a small mistake). Having made a pair in sight, you will probably be out of position for the rest of the hand, which makes your opponents' play more uncertain -- can they beat trips or are they drawing or have they tripped themselves or are they drawing with two pair trying to fill or are they unobservant or do they think you're weak or...

If you call a bet on Four, you encourage others to call behind you, meaning you have to hit your draw to beat a larger field, and you will not have odds to draw on the big bet streets. Additionally, you expose yourself to an implied odds position since there will be more hands drawing to beat your eventual hand.

If your flush draw was all little cards, I could see peeling because there are more ways to make a solid compound draw (another little card for a pair+fd or straight+flush draws) where your eventual pat hand can stand up to more players. Here, your secondary draw is just a couple of big cards, which derive their value from making top pair against one opponent.

I like a raise on Four for a jillion reasons.