Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: What to say when you go back to work?

My failed internet business. Poker-affliate(not player) internet business. Worked at a family member's business for a year. (print business cards, letterhead, etc.--now defunct, of course)
Old 09-17-2007, 04:50 PM

Going thru post op sex change therapy. Them tell them your name used to be Samantha.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Lie to a potential employer, awesome. Everyone knows the way to start and build a relationship is one on lies.

If you're an adult, you should have known two years ago that your resume/work experience was going to suck if you decided to play poker. You're two years out of school, and you're just now looking for a job?

Fact of the matter is, you're going to look like a burned out degen to almost any employer by telling the truth. Or, you can lie and be happy with yourself that by lying you put yourself ahead of other qualified candidates. Have fun with that decision.

Oh and finally, you're lying to everyone on this forum. You went bust after thinking you'd make it big, and now realize you have to get a job. Good luck with that.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lie to a potential employer, awesome. Everyone knows the way to start and build a relationship is one on lies.

If you're an adult, you should have known two years ago that your resume/work experience was going to suck if you decided to play poker. You're two years out of school, and you're just now looking for a job?

Fact of the matter is, you're going to look like a burned out degen to almost any employer by telling the truth. Or, you can lie and be happy with yourself that by lying you put yourself ahead of other qualified candidates. Have fun with that decision.

Oh and finally, you're lying to everyone on this forum. You went bust after thinking you'd make it big, and now realize you have to get a job. Good luck with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

this made me rofl serieusly you are such a pathetic person.
lots of people lie in a job interview not to mention the people taking the interview, what's wrong with you?

i respect people who try to live their dreams not the [censored] robots like you walking their designated path of society and eventually dieing without ever having seen what's life truly about.

Good luck with that
Old 09-17-2007, 05:23 PM

I have had similar problems- and haven't really resolved them - my experience is that time spent gaming is not appreciated by standard employers at all, they are interested in hearing about it in an interview - but when it comes to giving out a job they are going to be risk averse.

I think you have to take any "proper" 9-5 job you can get first - so you apply for the jobs you actually want from the position of being regularily employed.

If you have some solid financial accounts of your poker work, you can maybe give a presentation on it.

Or - say you did voluntary work or some BS while you were weighing up your options, at least poker can help you bluff it out.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:26 PM

Amen Crazy Porto.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i respect people who try to live their dreams not the [censored] robots like you walking their designated path of society and eventually dieing without ever having seen what's life truly about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue isn't the dream, we all would like to live in a society where you can float around and discover yourself, but the US is not like that. You can get out of working a traditional job in many ways, one being poker, especially in your early 20s where your expenses are not that high.

The issue is that your choices do have consequences and the choice to forgo a more formal employment and gamble has the consequence of diminishing whatever accomplishments you have achieved in the academic world. I'm not agreeing with this philosophy at all, but realize that it is there.

Regardless of why this guy is now entering the job field, aiming for some of the most scrutinized jobs where you need government clearance is not the brightest move for someone who is hiding what they have been up to for the last two years. These firms that need their employees to gain clearance will see the OP as damaged goods unlike smaller firms.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 PM

use this:

[ QUOTE ]
You've spent the last 2 years, travelling, getting to know yourself/purpose and supplementing your adventures with investment returns (all while keeping abreast of current trends in IT).

[/ QUOTE ]

-OR-

this:

"was earning a living playing internet poker until the doomswitch was turned on"
Old 09-17-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, why can't people just tell the truth? If they don't hire you then [censored] them, they're a bunch of pretentious pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're clueless
Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lots of people lie in a job interview not to mention the people taking the interview...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have yet to have an interview where they did not lie to me. Lie back. It's just like a hand of poker, except you won't see the river for 30+ years.