Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: This Season of SNL

PHB,

I don't think I've ever laughed once with something involving Molly Shannon.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:18 PM

fastforward to about 3:40 mark (Not safe for home)
Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fastforward to about 3:40 mark (Not safe for home)

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I want to say that I went into that video with as much objectivity as possible. I don't want to be the douche that suppresses his laugh into a chuckle and tries to play it off like it wasn't funny.

...but that [censored] just wasn't funny. I think penis, vagina, poop, and fart jokes can be funny as hell. Maybe it was the lack of subtlety, maybe there's just something about Shannon that I just don't like, I don't know. If anything, it reminds me of a lot of Sarah Silverman's material where the "humor" is that it's a woman saying/doing outrageous things.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:47 PM

Nothing wrong with that. It's your honest opinion. But in regards to the lack of subtlety there...that was a re-curring skit of her back when she was on the show and she'd always pull her tight pants up showing off her cameltoe but her character would never really acknowledge it. It was just funny to see her pull up so high.

Then she hosted last year and that is where that skit came from. She came back and hosted and did that skit again, only this time she hit the crowd with her whole cameltoe spiel. I thought it was awesome that she just came out over the top after years of layoff and really point out her cameltoe.

ANyway, yeah you probably just don't like her. I have that with Fey and Poehler. I don't "get" Poehler. She and I just don't click.

But Dratch, Oteri, Gasteyer, and Shannon were all awesome imo. Many of the women were ranked near the very bottom of my list though, as most of them just couldn't hack it with the guys. imo. Finesse Mitchell was by far the worst guy, though. Truly terrible.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nath, that season was definitely a re-birth for the show. I'll always remember my reaction to Wil Ferrell's first skit: "GET OFF OF THE SHED!!!" His humor was really weird at first, but his genius couldn't be appreciated right away by common mortals. Ferrell/Oteri basically saved SNL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that was a great first skit. Gave me new hope as an SNL fan.

On Molly Shannon: To be fair, one of my favorite SNL skits was one where she and Will Ferrell are on a blind date at an airport bar.

I don't remember Finesse Mitchell, but I'd be tempted to vote for Horatio Sanz as worst cast member ever. There were surely others who sucked more, but has anyone who was so unfunny managed to stay on in a prominent role for as many seasons as he did?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 PM

PHB,

I always liked Dratch and Oteri. I "get" Poehler, but I think she was better on UCB. I also really like Laura Kightlinger (she's one of the few female comedians I've ever thought was legit funny), but I think she was only on the show for one season.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 PM

Yeah forgot about Kightlinger. I did a wiki search and just went with their repertory cast members. I remember her on the show but I suppose she was only a supporting castmember, that's why she didn't show up on Wiki.

Yeah she's good. She was dating Jack Black for a while, not sure what ever happened to her. She was in Shallow Hal, though.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 AM

1997ish to about 2002ish was gold for me.
I mean I can think of 50 sketches that were very funny.

2002-Now, I can think of very few.

Acting?
Writing?
Hosts?

IDK, I really cant tell. I'd say its both. IMO, non of the current stars can touch the old casts. I mean Amy and Set hare likeable, but not very talented. I'd say Fred is the most talented. Unfortunately due to seniority, he is not the star. I'm not really sure why ppl said Andy Samberg is funny. He is very, very, unfunny and if he is funny, it is because of good writing.

My rack of funniest, not favorite (current):

Fred Armisen (2002-present)
Will Forte (2002-present)
Bill Hader (2005-present)
Amy Poehler (2001-2008)
Kenan Thompson (2003-present)
Darrell Hammond (1995-present)
Seth Meyers (2001-present)
Kristen Wiig (2005-present)
Jason Sudeikis (2005-present)
Maya Rudolph (2000-present)
Andy Samberg (2005-present)

I'd prolly bang all 3 of the chicks on the show though.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact is that if you don't like SNL (specifically this year and last) that's fine but it has nothing to do with SNL - you're just not a fan of sketch comedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've pretty much stopped watching SNL so can't comment on the last couple years.
But the idea that if I think WAY WAY too many of SNL's sketches aren't funny means I somehow don't like sketch comedy is pretty ridiculous and I think a bit insulting even.

I love sketch comedy but some of the SNL episodes and sketches are just so horribly unfunny that I can't imagine how they made it to air in in the first place because surely somebody would have been able to notice how unfunny they are.

So if I decide that I didn't like SNL at those times then that means I just can't appreciate sketch-comedy?
Stupid.
It just means that I don't sit and laugh and whatever idiotic unfunny crap the network throws at me. It means I actually have taste.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 AM

Pretty sure Maya Rudolph got a boob job a couple years back. I'd bet pretty good money on it. She's sort of weird looking. Doesn't do much for me. Poehler neither. She seems like a 14 year old girl or something. I understand that might be attractive to many a member of this site, but not me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Wiig is pretty cute in a different way. I think Wiig is hilarious. I heard she was on the Joe Schmo show but I don't remember her.

I don't care much for Hader. Honestly the guy creeps the hell out of me. Sudeikis I like more. I know he's not as talented, but his stuff comes across as funnier to me.