Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Worst playground designer ever

I went to a playground with my 2 godsons a few days ago and was blown away by how awful and unusable two of the 3 slides were.

The first one is actually vertical, and if you tried to slide down it you'd fall a good 18-24 inches before hitting the bottom and shooting out onto wood chips.

The second one is zigzagged and has drops in between each zag, and *could* be usable and fun if it wasn't so skinny that my 3-year-old godson (who is small for his age) couldn't slide down it comfortably.

I thought it may have been a poor attempt at steps to get you to the top of the playground, but it was difficult for ME (a 6-foot 160# person) to climb up it, so no way a kid is having fun trying to climb that thing.

There was also a series of bars in kind of a ribcage (but spread really far apart) that you could climb to get up the playground, as well as a spiral bar that didn't work like most of them, because the vertical supporting bar for it was on the side instead of the center, so you can't sit on the bars and twist yourself down.

All around, it was pretty awful. I don't know what kind of experience you need to design a playground for a city park, but apparently they'll accept elementary school dropouts....
Old 06-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Worst playground designer ever

Ever watch a college football game? Most of the players, who obviously can't read or write, major in "Physical Fitness", "Sports and Recreation", or other nonsense.

These are the geniuses (genii?) designing playgrounds.

My kids are still young enough to bring to playgrounds like these. I hate it, because dopey parents let their 1- and 2-year-olds climb up on these things. Nobody ever sees the signs that warn that they're dangerous for kids under 6.

Nothing like seeing a toddler on a platform, five feet up, walking past the top of a ladder, while Mom has her nose buried in a paperback.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:11 PM

We have the same slide as #1 at our school, yours has been assembled incorrectly.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We have the same slide as #1 at our school, yours has been assembled incorrectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

explain?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Old 06-10-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that in your playground the entrance is too high off the ground. It appears that if it was lowered to the ground then if you took the bottom half of the slide and twisted it away from the angle the camera is facing it, it would spit you out to the side while having much more of a smooth decline.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:21 PM

Never mind that doesn't make sense.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

the slide is two pieces, that top part which is longer should be at the bottom, and the bottom which is steeper and shorter should be attatched to the top. I think he is right, which is awesome.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

the slide is two pieces, that top part which is longer should be at the bottom, and the bottom which is steeper and shorter should be attatched to the top. I think he is right, which is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow I misread that, I was looking at slide #2 wondering how it was wrong. I def see what you're talking about here though.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:22 PM

Geezus. That first slide looks like a lawsuit in the making.
Might as well just toss the kids off the side onto the ground.