Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 05:07 AM

Default Blind battle, late in a $215

I had been very aggressive leading up to this and preflop felt like he wanted me to shove. thoughts on any street?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) converter

SB (t1320)
Bonafone (t2320)
UTG (t1825)
MP (t2120)
Button (t2415)

Preflop: Bonafone is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Bonafone checks.

Flop: (t300) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Bonafone checks.

Turn: (t300) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Bonafone checks.

River: (t300) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Bonafone bets 150, Sb goes all in, Bonafone thinks "wtf could he have [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]" and calls

Final Pot: t2640
Old 02-10-2006, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Blind battle, late in a $215

I wouldn't call the river thats for sure. If they wanted to bluff theyd usually bet the river themselves.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:29 AM

if you thought he wanted you to shove preflop, its very possible he had KK ..and was checking it till you caught something.

Also, Think you shoulda checked behind him on river. Would give you more respect for not pushing a5 preflop for future steal attempts, and also you rarely get a call here, he cant call with nothing, hes been checking throughout the whole hand. And since you min bet river, when the 2 popped....most playesr will think you just trying to buy the small pot and re-raise you alot of the times, and then you get into these tough decisions over a small pot.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:32 AM

I like preflop if you have the feeling that he completed with a good hand hoping you'd shove.

I either bet the flop or the turn half pot and fold to any action. I almost always check behind on river.

I hate your river action. Why give action with freaking bottom pair to a super-fishy play? Villain gets to pat himself on his back for his superbly played AK or KK.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:40 AM

well I didn't exactly have bottom pair, but just the same.

I'm going to go into a little more of my thinking, i checked behind the flop and turn because I still thought there was a chance he was trapping with kk, ak, aa or the such. once he checked the river i eliminated all those hands along with any hand with a ten in it. I've shown no interest in winning this pot up until the river so he can't expect me to bet.

once it gets to me on the river i have 2 choices: check behind and take my pot, or minbet and make it look like a weak attemt at a steal and get a call from big ace (possible "trapping" hands for this player) or even induce this player to bluff. Yes INDUCE THE BLUFF! I autocalled his shove btw [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

I'm such a donk
Old 02-10-2006, 06:21 AM

Out of curiosity, what did he have...if you had been agressive and thought he limped in with strong hand...I would think he had KK the way the hand was played out.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:28 AM

You really think he would check KK on the river [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2006, 06:30 AM

No, its actually weird....what would they check 3 times....I also dont mind your river valuebet, seems impossible that you are losing.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:31 AM

think it would be the best play to give you a chance to bluff at the pot, after all if you handnt bet at any street, no point betting river because he most likely wont be called since it appears you have nothing.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:36 AM

Johnny no likee, when Johnny has read, he goes with. Johnny like checky on river.