Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Bellagio 10/20 Hand Against TV Dude (No, not wrong forum)

[ QUOTE ]
Ppl who hate preflop never played full ring. It's completely standard to do at least some of the time and more +EV than always open raising (provided you balance it okish).

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest question is how will villain interpret it. If it's 'standard' for the table and doesn't announce hero's hand any more than an UTG raise would then fine.

Another good pre-flop question is what range would [edit] villain [/edit] min-raise like this.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ppl who hate preflop never played full ring. It's completely standard to do at least some of the time and more +EV than always open raising (provided you balance it okish).

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest question is how will villain interpret it. If it's 'standard' for the table and doesn't announce hero's hand any more than an UTG raise would then fine.

Another good pre-flop question is what range would min-raise like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really good point/way of putting it.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Especially with this lineup, there is often going to be mad action before it gets back to you. Stuff like other tags iso-raising the donkey player etc.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Especially with this lineup, there is often going to be mad action before it gets back to you. Stuff like other tags iso-raising the donkey player etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's the issue. The questionable issues about preflop are :

1. How often would just get a reraise if you just opened normally ?

2. How often are you limp-reraising with less than premiums?

3. Does the benefit from limp-reraising big pairs outweigh the negative of limp-reraising the junk you have to mix in for balance?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Will you consider folding your aces at any point in this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...

[ QUOTE ]
2) If you answered "yes" to the first question, explain why, or explain what events would have to happen in order for you to fold (either give a specific line you would take, or a tell you would look for, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

...if villain accidentally (or purposefully, I suppose) flipped over a ten or pocket sixes before all the money was in.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:36 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

I'm surprised that so many people took issue with the limp-reraise. Though, maybe I shouldn't be surprised since so many of my students want to talk about/take issue with/don't understand 3-betting in general.

A pf rr is a tactic that can be used to achieve one of many purposes. That's it. It can be very effective when used correctly, and that simply requires understanding its implications. I find it odd when players "never do" something. It's usually either because they don't understand it, or they don't adjust well to it themselves. (I put min-raising in that category, incidentally.)

Those who are vehemently against limp-reraising are opposing a line that gets more money into the pot preflop. But ahh, they cling to the old "cost of giving away your hand" mantra. I have two things to say to that:

1) LOL at people in this game only lrr-ing with AA.
2) EVEN IF one reraises with a very narrow range, at what point does the information matter? (mathematically)

The game is about adjusting, folks. Here you have a player who is playing almost every hand, and raising almost every hand. Why would you NOT adjust to that by doing some different things preflop? You just have to understand its effect on the game/table.

Let me give you an example. In one hand, I was on the button and the tournadonk was in the BB. A bunch of people limped to me, and I limped with AcQc. SB completed, and sure enough, BB raised to $100. All limpers called and I pushed all-in. SB and BB each thought for a long time before folding. SB had TT and BB had QJ. Not bad to take advantage of a great situation and a good image to win a big preflop pot uncontested while getting a better hand to fold and almost getting a severely dominated hand to call, huh?

It's all about adjusting.

I have more to say but I'll put it in a separate post....
Old 06-25-2007, 01:39 PM

wouldnt this agro player 3b light too? then you can get even more money in
Old 06-25-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) LOL at people in this game only lrr-ing with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

against this guy it would be retarded not to lrr with anything but big hands. He probably knows that
Old 06-25-2007, 01:44 PM

in before negative comments about limp RR

(including my own)
Old 06-25-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ppl who hate preflop never played full ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it, I've played full ring. You are playing your cards faceup when you do this

[ QUOTE ]

It's completely standard to do at least some of the time and more +EV than always open raising (provided you balance it okish).

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH A STATEMENT! Please support because I see no difference between opening with a wide range of hands and being a weak player that occasionally limps aces