Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Top two on a scary board vs Zeejustin in Caesar\'s 10k

I think I like leading the flop because a) that's annoyoing b) IMO, we're severely narrowing our range when we check/call this flop when we've called from the sb pf and if ZJ is as good as people say, that can't be good two streets from showdown.

Anyway, as played, and with this in mind, check-call the turn and take a decision on the river card but I'm check-calling here as preference. I don't like blocking because, if ZJ is as good as everyone says, we're not getting a crying call from a worse hand and we should be getting bluffed more than never.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:25 AM

I think you have to bet this turn. c/c just makes a tough decision even tougher on the river (more chips, more cards). When you check turn you give him easy option to rep a set or a huge draw/lesser 2P and scale the risk. And unless you fill up on river you're toast b/c at that point he's attached so much credibility to a big hand that you can't call bluff/semi-bluff shoves.

Playing OOP is no fun unless you can find a opportunity to take control of the decision tree = take control of the repping game = push opponent towards making a FTOP mistake.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Checking is bad because sometimes it will make him bet with a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 AM

I play it more aggressively than most are saying and lose a lot of chips.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 AM

Sensors indicate that Baltostar is %45 likely to be fat, and %70 likely to be a gimmick account.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 AM

This is the wierdest thread I've ever read on here. I like a fold preflop, but calling is hardly that bad. Lead flop seems fine as does check/call. Lead the frigging turn ffs. I actually think you may be able to bet/fold the turn given the dynamic you guys describe, but bet/3-bet turn would be my default against a normal player and I would never consider it much of a mistake to do that here. Choose one of those lines based on the dynamic they have to be better than anything involving checking the turn.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Checking is bad because sometimes it will make him bet with a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking is not the best b/c it is likely villian has a worse hand and you're giving him the opportunity to rep a very strong hand which kills your ability to shove or call a shove on the river.

Lead the turn.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 PM

This thread has been super results-oriented. I am not sure where this hand is online, but obviously OP lost.

First of all, no one but a weak/tight donk folds preflop. The guy is raising every hand and you have a real hand. Preflop is a call or a reraise. You call, you are OOP, but you are getting better than 3-1 pot odds. If you reraise, you end it right there a lot when villain folds or 4-bets and you fold. The money is not so deep anymore if he calls, and you have initiative.

The flop is check/call, checkraise, or lead out with top pair.

On the turn, you have top two pair on a 3-straight, 2-flush board. There is 66K in the pot and villain has 275K left. Villain could have a better hand, but since he has close to random cards, there is not reason to think a straight or set is likely.

So on the turn, I would probably checkraise to get the money in. You could also lead out for 40-50K. Check/calling is OK. It increases the risk you are drawn out on, but limits losses if you are behind. If you win the hand, it sometimes gets more money in and sometimes less.

Top two is almost as good as bottom set. It has less outs if you are behind. Pretty much no one folds this hand in this situation.

People really have to understand that you need to analyze the situation as it occurs and not look for ways to fold a hand, because the results were a loss. This thread reminds me of some of the weak/tight BS on P5.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First of all, no one but a weak/tight donk folds preflop. The guy is raising every hand and you have a real hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Durrr said fold pf... which is making me reconsider my pf line fwiw.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 PM

for all you know F could've meant flat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]