Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Rudy G\'s Tough Talk

[ QUOTE ]
So how's life as a government pawn? Do you enjoy dressing up as an anarchist and starting fights at anti-globalist demonstrations? Ever wonder why so many people are losing all respect for the police? It's because they believe their job is "To Serve And Protect" the state, not the people. And they've consistently shown a willingness to break the law in order to protect the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh. +1
Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, if Rudy wins and you voted for Ron Paul, don't have a coniption and start terrorizing your neighborhood because you no longer respect the government and don't want to "cede a great deal of discretion" to them. It's the law of the land; you can't change it so don't try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I can't? Darn it, I was stockpiling rocks to throw at government buildings in case Rudy McRomney won, I guess I'll have to stop doing that. I like how you assume anyone who doesn't like the government will want to "terrorize the neighborhood." Anyone who disagrees with the state is now a terrorist? Is that the new propaganda?

So how's life as a government pawn? Do you enjoy dressing up as an anarchist and starting fights at anti-globalist demonstrations? Ever wonder why so many people are losing all respect for the police? It's because they believe their job is "To Serve And Protect" the state, not the people. And they've consistently shown a willingness to break the law in order to protect the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you assume I am just like any other police officer that you disrespect. I don't do it for the authority. I am a police officer because it was a lifetime goal of mine, and it runs in my family to be in some industry that deals with helping people. My dad is an administrator for a nursing home, and my sister works with children with behavior disorders. I am one for the people, so first, you need to know me before you assume anything about me. I don't believe in demonstrations (protests) as they accomplish nothing. I was in the National Guard and had to deal with gov't decisions regarding the military (2 deployments). Again, you need to know me before you start assuming anything.

Also, don't misinterpret "terrorize" as a function of "terrorism." I'm sure you can figure out what I mean. However, your disrespect for authority makes me believe that your actions are largely a part of your beliefs. I'm not saying you will terrorize the neighborhood - it was merely an example. As a citizen of the United States, you have to deal with whoever is elected president, just as we have been doing with George Bush. I didn't vote in 2000 because I wasn't old enough, and in 2004 I voted for John Kerry (only on the basis that Bush is an idiot - I never followed the campaign at all). I don't agree much with the war in Iraq, but that doesn't mean I'm going to protest against the war or be first in line at the gate to the White House trying to get Bush to change his mind.

I don't pick fights as I'm usually one to take a step back and realize how ridiculous it is to try and be the tough guy. In my opinion, protests are useless. I've never been to a protest and I don't plan on going to one or engage in one. People have the freedom of speech, therefore, say what you want. However, if you start to annoy, harass, or threaten someone, then we will have a problem - that's only the nature of my job (in my jurisdiction). There are fine lines, and I'm sure you realize that.

Just don't attack me as a police officer because you think I have these sets of ideals that go against your beliefs. If you were a priest, I wouldn't think of you as a child molester, and if you were an Idaho senator, I wouldn't think of you the same either. One does not equal one. I will treat everyone fairly until they give me a reason not to. That's my opinion. And like I said before, I'm not a political person, I have only really followed this campaign because I enjoy taking part in being proactive. So all-in-all, most of this stuff you guys talk about "Anarchist," "Liberal," "Conservative," really means nothing to me as I don't understand it. I'm a registered Republican, but only because that is what the rest of my family is. I take the stance that I will vote for whoever makes more sense to me. I'm open to new ideas, so if you can change my opinions, please do. That is why I'm still in this discussion and taking the brunt of the remarks.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:44 AM

I agree with italian, you shouldn't assume he is like other corrupt cops. in fact, we have no reason to assume that. I personally don't like cops, but I can give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I take the stance that I will vote for whoever makes more sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ] Vote Ron Paul.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you assume I am just like any other police officer that you disrespect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you assume that I'm a trouble-maker just because I have a different political philosophy than the current and likely future administration. I've never been arrested or had any kind of confrontation with a cop.

I think demonstrations are stupid and useless too. And my family is very "activist." My dad has gone to almost every anti-war demo in Chicago. But that doesn't mean I think people should just say "oh well, the guy we voted for turned out to be a complete idiot, so I guess we just have to sit here and wait quietly until the next election." The founding fathers would be horrified if they saw that attitude.

From the posts you make, it seems to me that you don't really think individuals have, or should have, much power. I believe individuals have a right, and a responsibility to keep their government in check. Rudy seems to think that individuals should not be able to even question the government. Do you agree?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

From the posts you make, it seems to me that you don't really think individuals have, or should have, much power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the level at which you think is good enough. Some people out there shouldn't have any authority at all, in the bigger picture.

[ QUOTE ]

I believe individuals have a right, and a responsibility to keep their government in check.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can they when 1 voice is rarely heard? (serious question wanting a serious response)

[ QUOTE ]

Rudy seems to think that individuals should not be able to even question the government. Do you agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading that article, yes I would agree with this statement a large part. After reading that quote though, I don't think Rudy is at one extreme or the other. I think he is looking for the trust of the people to put it in him that he will keep our country free from harm and wants to reason with people that they are going to have to give up a little bit to gain more.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

I believe individuals have a right, and a responsibility to keep their government in check.

How can they when 1 voice is rarely heard? (serious question wanting a serious response)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that some random dude could/should be able to wander around DC with a megaphone and heavily influence government policy.

Individuals can cooperate and form a large and powerful voice. I'm an individual who disagrees with the UIGEA. One of the things I did to let the government know I disapprove of it is to join the Poker Players Alliance. Since there's a lot of other people who agree with me, my voice is much louder on that issue.

Some people believe the government has restricted gun ownership too much, so they formed the NRA. Every individual that agrees with the NRA'a agenda has a very loud voice to speak for them.

[ QUOTE ]
I think he is looking for the trust of the people to put it in him that he will keep our country free from harm and wants to reason with people that they are going to have to give up a little bit to gain more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't about whether or not Rudy is a trustworthy guy. It's about the principle that one person should not have so much unchecked power.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that some random dude could/should be able to wander around DC with a megaphone and heavily influence government policy.

Individuals can cooperate and form a large and powerful voice. I'm an individual who disagrees with the UIGEA. One of the things I did to let the government know I disapprove of it is to join the Poker Players Alliance. Since there's a lot of other people who agree with me, my voice is much louder on that issue.

Some people believe the government has restricted gun ownership too much, so they formed the NRA. Every individual that agrees with the NRA'a agenda has a very loud voice to speak for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone was this proactive, we would have less problems in the world today. Nonetheless, I agree with you. Becoming part of a larger group is a good solution to many issues, but only if there is some type of opportunity to get to congress who have a say in the way things go. My argument is that 1 person can not do it alone; therefore, we must come together for a common good.

[ QUOTE ]

This isn't about whether or not Rudy is a trustworthy guy. It's about the principle that one person should not have so much unchecked power.

[/ QUOTE ]

The President usually never does, although Bush has been seemingly making his way around the White House. How does Rudy want to have "unchecked power?"
Old 08-31-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you assume I am just like any other police officer that you disrespect.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, you were the one who started with the jumping to conclusions based on stereotypes and preconcieved bias.

[ QUOTE ]
As a citizen of the United States, you have to deal with whoever is elected president, just as we have been doing with George Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anyone disputing this point? I don't think so, but you keep bringing it up.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A big part of it is a willingness to take up arms against the government and if necessary, those who go along with the government because "you have to deal with it" or because "what can you do?".