Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, do the French disdain or admire the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both, depending on the mattern.

[ QUOTE ]
Same question, but for Germany?

[/ QUOTE ]

None

[ QUOTE ]

Has the French perception of the US changed significantly from the pre-Bush years to the present?

[/ QUOTE ]

It got worse, because French don't like Bush, and because of the whole French bashing stuff.

[ QUOTE ]

I have found French restaurants to be hit or miss. But when good, a restaurant can have amazing food. How can a foreigner determine which restaurants are good in Paris? (American travel books are pretty bad at this.)

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way would be to look on Internet forums speaking about travel and food or even here (i remember i suggested a restaurant to a member here and he seemed to liked it).

If you are looking for really expensive restaurant the reference is the guide Michelin http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Red-G.../dp/2067122371

[ QUOTE ]
Why is service so poor in France

[/ QUOTE ]

I regret it but the 'Customer is king' is not part of our culture. But still there are lot of place where service is great, you have to be lucky/search/heard about the place by friends...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Awesome thread, have a few questions.

I'm planning to study abroad in France next fall. I could probably get into most schools, maybe not the very top. Do you have any recommendations? I have taken most of my classes in my major in the US, I just have to take a couple humanities/general classes while I'm in France so a liberal arts school would be good. Do you have any idea of a school I would enjoy? A place with good weather, social/nightlife, and good looking girls would be perfect, doesn't necessarily have to be in Paris.

Also, do you think I will have trouble interacting with the other students? I have taken 5 years of French and am pretty confident in the grammar and vocab but my speaking skills and understanding rapid speech is a work in progress. Do you think I will pick these up quickly, and will I be able to interact? I'm a pretty outgoing guy, basically wondering if I'll be able to make friends with some French girls or if language will be an issue.

Any other tips/customs I should be aware of? Do many people smoke weed?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm planning to study abroad in France next fall. I could probably get into most schools, maybe not the very top. Do you have any recommendations? I have taken most of my classes in my major in the US, I just have to take a couple humanities/general classes while I'm in France so a liberal arts school would be good. Do you have any idea of a school I would enjoy?

[/ QUOTE ] Don't know yet. I will ask my best friend who did an art school.

[ QUOTE ]

A place with good weather, social/nightlife, and good looking girls would be perfect, doesn't necessarily have to be in Paris.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weather is nasty in Paris for your information.
Two cities come to my mind for the weather and the number of students (which mean girls and parties) are Montpelier and Toulouse.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, do you think I will have trouble interacting with the other students? I have taken 5 years of French and am pretty confident in the grammar and vocab but my speaking skills and understanding rapid speech is a work in progress. Do you think I will pick these up quickly, and will I be able to interact? I'm a pretty outgoing guy, basically wondering if I'll be able to make friends with some French girls or if language will be an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the basics you should learn fast with the practice.
[ QUOTE ]

Do many people smoke weed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 PM

What was the hardest concept to understand while learning the English language?

(Manquer = to miss messed with a lot of English>French speakers. I'd imagine it would be just as difficult going the other way.)
Old 11-09-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, do the French disdain or admire the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both, depending on the mattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, but I'm talking about the general impression. For example, in Germany, I got the feeling that the Germans like to criticize/ridicule America(ns), but, in actuality, had some unspoken admiration for the US. Similar for the French or no?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have found French restaurants to be hit or miss. But when good, a restaurant can have amazing food. How can a foreigner determine which restaurants are good in Paris? (American travel books are pretty bad at this.)

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way would be to look on Internet forums speaking about travel and food or even here (i remember i suggested a restaurant to a member here and he seemed to liked it).

[/ QUOTE ]

But if a foreigner is sight-seeing in Paris and is just looking for a good place to grab dinner, is there some way to tell whether a restaurant is authentic and good? I was told to avoid restaurants with translated menus, but that doesn't seem to sufficiently narrow the field.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) What region is best for cuisine in you opionion?
We found Lyon to be fantastic

[/ QUOTE ]

Lyon is the world capital of gastronomy. Paris has the best gourmet restuarants, though. You can also find a lot of high class restaurants in the countryside. Don't worry too much about food though, there are amazing places everywhere.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Do you feel americans are treated better/worse in certain regions? I felt we were welcomed with open arms in the country side of the Beaujolais region but when we travelled to Marseille(sp?) i really felt looked down on. Actually felt really uncomfortable and treated poorly everywhere we went in that city.

[/ QUOTE ]

People in southern France are generally more welcoming, especially in the countryside. I don't know about Marseille (french spelling without an s, english spelling with an s), I've never really been there for a long time. Generally you still should feel welcome in smaller proinvial areas than in big cities, who are used to tourists, consider them an annoyance and don't feel like they have to treat them well.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Whats your favorite French meal?

[/ QUOTE ]

My favourite popular meal : Raclette FTW! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
4) Favorite wine and any recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a pretty bad frenchman: I don't drink wine! And I know nothing aobut it.

[ QUOTE ]
What was the hardest concept to understand while learning the English language?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there are very hard concepts in english, at least not in the english I speak and write. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've had problems using "this" and "that" correctly, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Is France serious about attacking Iran?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. The population will never support an open war and will probably protest if France supports the US in that attack.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general thought on people from England? Stereotypes, jokes, rivalry etc. (not neccessarily your opinion, people in general)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big rilvarly in sports, especially soccer and rugby, but besides that I think the relationships are cordial.

French clichés about english people?
- the men are often gay
- they are a little snobbish and easily shocked
- they are stoic and fair play
- british girls = occasionally beautiful but usually not pretty
- they must be crazy driving on the left side of the road
- they burnt Jeanne d'Arc. Bastards !!!

[ QUOTE ]
Do you like cheese? Before your meal, after your meal, both and if so what is your favourite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually only eat cheese during the meals when some sort of cheese is part of the recipe. I'm an exception though.

[ QUOTE ]
But if a foreigner is sight-seeing in Paris and is just looking for a good place to grab dinner, is there some way to tell whether a restaurant is authentic and good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars on the Michelin Guide are usually a good sign. OTehrwise it's pretty much like anywhere in the world: you're never really sure unless you try.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was me. Asked in this thread Paris Dining questions and trip report in this thread Paris Trip Report - mostly dining, some pictures.

I'll take the chance to say thanks again for the suggestion to eat at L'Aubrac, and your excellent sticky Where to play poker in France ? in the francophone forum.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 PM

Do you think that the university a person attends has a great affect on how successful that person will be?

What is your opinion of the Grandes Écoles and the students that attend them? Any comments about HEC or ESCP-EAP (although I know you didn't study business)?

What do people think of your profession? Are your friends and family worried about your financial security or stability? I know that many professional poker players face these criticisms in the U.S., and I'd assume it's even worse in France where there is a bigger emphasis on financial security.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM

One more thing--where do you like to shop? I'm looking for simple clothing that isn't terribly expensive (and yes, I want to be invisible like the other Parisian men).
Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing--where do you like to shop? I'm looking for simple clothing that isn't terribly expensive (and yes, I want to be invisible like the other Parisian men).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know the brand Celio? All the invisible parisians wears it.