Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: 5/10 live J9s

On the button after 6 limpers, I would raise JTs+, 99+, AJo+, and I would limp with J9s.

That is a completely different situation than after a raise from a decent player and 3 or 4 cold calls. The UTG raise from a decent player means he has a strong hand that is likely to dominate J9s.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets reverse this. If you are on the button, with 6 limpers. What hands do you raise? I find myself raising JTs+ TT+ AKo. If I can raise with JTs, I can call here with J9s. I can get away from top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what hands the limpers are limping with. It also depends on how the players play on the flop. I still haven't worked it out, but right now I'm looking into how your raising range should change if you have a couple of limpers in there who don't play any two suited/connector cards and who will over-limp with hands like AK/AQ/QQ/JJ (I often find myself at a table with at least one such player). I generally don't like raising with big offsuit aces. I think I would rather raise with 87s than AJo.

My raising range is going to have x hands which I always raise with, y hands which I sometimes raise with, and z hands which I rarely raise with. x, y, and z change according to table composition and how well I think I am playing, among other factors. x is always going to include JJ+ AKs. z is always going to be composed primarily of medium-to-low suited connectors. How much more goes into x and what goes into y and how often "rarely" is are fluid concepts filed under "it depends".
Old 10-09-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The UTG raise from a decent player means he has a strong hand that is likely to dominate J9s.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably. but in multiway pots domination is less of a concern because you aren't looking to flop a pair to win.

J9s is a hand that is looking to hit a big hand and win a big pot. we have around 18% equity pf so calling is close and shouldn't be considered "easy" or "automatic", but is likely profitable given our good position.

nice discussion here, though.