Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Re: **Ask a golf course employee**

1. What is your avater, its amazing i can not stop looking at it?

2. When you place the tee boxes, so it 3 yards wide, and facing completely off center of the fairway, do you then laugh inside yourself?

3. Have anyone from the crew been fired, due to complains from members?

4. Do the members in general, think you guys are doing a great job?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM

1. assuming you are talking about mine, search on youtube for guy punches guy in a mask

2. i would never do that so no

3. Not really, but there is one member, that thinks he can practice on the last five holes because they are on the other side of a road that splits the course, that no one on the crew likes cause he is rude and disrespectful. but anyways one day he left a club sittin on a green during one of his "practice" sessions and one of the guys threw it in the pond which was really funny IMO, you would really have to know the guy and the whole situation to think that is funny, but the guy that threw it in ended up getting fired for numerous reasons.

4. yeah, when we do things right they tell the superintendent and when things are wrong we know that, too. so no matter what we do we know that its good or bad
Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Regarding the 150 marker thing, they were popular when I picked up the game growing up. You whippersnappers don't know how good you have it - first they came along with plates in the fairway at 100, 150, 200, etc. then around that time they started marking sprinklers. I remember when one course started doing front-middle-back distance on their markers, it was like heaven.

Anyway, off the top of my head the 150 markers that flanked the fairways back in the day that I have seen included oleanders, large rocks, evergreens, mini-palm trees, PVC pipes, various flower gardens, and so on. That's all we had to go on. And it sucked to get stuck behind one of them.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:43 PM

Here's one I'll throw out there that is a pet peeve of mine.

Most courses have different colored flags to indicate front, middle and back. Unfortunately, most courses simply use a pattern that rotates. For instance, flag on #1 is front, #2 is middle, #3 is back and so on. Front, middle, back, front middle, back. The next day it is middle, back, front, middle, back, front, etc. Add and repeat.

Now I know why this is, when cutting the holes in the morning, the worker simply works backwards and takes the pin from #18 to #17, #17 to #16 and so on. It's easy. Well, I don't know about you guys, but I get sick and tired of knowing where every pin is going to be after I play the first hole. To make matters worse, my home course has 3 par 3's on the back nine, #11, 14 and 17. So the pin is always the same on every par 3! That bites.

But let's look at it one step further. Most courses are closed on Mondays and nothing is done with the pins. In keeping with the rotation, this means that the pins are in the same depth every Tuesday, or Thursday, or whatever. Imagine you only get to play golf on Saturdays. Well, using this system the pins are going to be in the same place every single time you play. EVERY TIME! That really bites.

I just don't see why more course don't just randomly cut the holes and stick the appropriately colored flag into them. That way you might have 3 straight fronts, or a 7 hole stretch with no backs.

BO
Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the 150 marker thing, they were popular when I picked up the game growing up. You whippersnappers don't know how good you have it

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing high school golf in the mid 80's, the muni course we played at only had 150 yard bushes. Well, I got to thinking that some of the yardages just weren't accurate. So over the course of a couple of rounds, I created a yardage book by simply stepping off yardages from the 150 bushes and other landmarks. Many bushes weren't even close, the majority of them being closer than 150. One hole in particular was downhill from the fairway to the green and the 150 bush was only 131 from the center of the green! If memory serves, it was a smallish green and something like 118 front.

This saved me countless strokes and caused me continuous amusement when opponents missed greens with good shots due to inaccurate yardages.

BO
Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's one I'll throw out there that is a pet peeve of mine.

Most courses have different colored flags to indicate front, middle and back. Unfortunately, most courses simply use a pattern that rotates. For instance, flag on #1 is front, #2 is middle, #3 is back and so on. Front, middle, back, front middle, back. The next day it is middle, back, front, middle, back, front, etc. Add and repeat.

Now I know why this is, when cutting the holes in the morning, the worker simply works backwards and takes the pin from #18 to #17, #17 to #16 and so on. It's easy. Well, I don't know about you guys, but I get sick and tired of knowing where every pin is going to be after I play the first hole. To make matters worse, my home course has 3 par 3's on the back nine, #11, 14 and 17. So the pin is always the same on every par 3! That bites.

But let's look at it one step further. Most courses are closed on Mondays and nothing is done with the pins. In keeping with the rotation, this means that the pins are in the same depth every Tuesday, or Thursday, or whatever. Imagine you only get to play golf on Saturdays. Well, using this system the pins are going to be in the same place every single time you play. EVERY TIME! That really bites.

I just don't see why more course don't just randomly cut the holes and stick the appropriately colored flag into them. That way you might have 3 straight fronts, or a 7 hole stretch with no backs.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what kind of courses you've played at but with ample size greens i think there is enough variance in pin placement to make everyone happy. at my course the flag was taken from 18 then they cup cutter would go from 1 to 2 to 3 and so on as to stay infront of the first group
Old 11-09-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even for the non-golfer I wouldn't think that cutting cups with the instructions "find a flat spot near the middle, front or back according to the rotation" would be
fairly simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of things you can [censored] up cutting cups.

-Cut them too shallow or deep (I've seen it at [censored] courses where the cup cutter does not regulate the depth).
-Spilling dirt all over while moving the old plug and not cleaning it up.
-Not taking the time replacing the old plug so it is not level w/ the surface and thus sinks down further, or gets scalped.
-Cutting them on too severe of a slope/too close to the edge of a green.
-Not making sure the cup is perfectly upright/pin crooked.
-Not regularly sharpening the cup cutter so the edges don't become dull (cup cutters responsibility, some courses go a season without sharpening them)
-Cutting cups on stressed/diseased areas or spots with lots of ball marks
I could prolly think of 5-10 more but thats plenty, and they may sound obv but people making less than 10$ an hr that are not golfers don't rly give a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about someone who had no idea how to do it. I guess I should've clarified that. I meant for someone who has done it before, it should be very simple. I don't know, I like doing it. It's an easy job that takes a good chunk of the morning when you take your time and do it right.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. What is your avater, its amazing i can not stop looking at it?

2. When you place the tee boxes, so it 3 yards wide, and facing completely off center of the fairway, do you then laugh inside yourself?

3. Have anyone from the crew been fired, due to complains from members?

4. Do the members in general, think you guys are doing a great job?

[/ QUOTE ]

2. Don't usually [censored] up the tee markers since I know it annoys people.

3. Yes. Had a guy who couldn't be bothered to make sure his old plugs from prior cups were flush with the green. He left about 75% of them high and wouldn't fix them. Scalped [censored] plugs everywhere.

4. Our members are [censored]. They want a US Open course setup every day at a public course. Most of them can't handle the forward tees on a good day.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 AM

right if you know what you are doing it is simple but when you put someone out there on one of their first times get ready to see some leaning flags
Old 11-09-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Not sure what kind of courses you've played at but with ample size greens i think there is enough variance in pin placement to make everyone happy. at my course the flag was taken from 18 then they cup cutter would go from 1 to 2 to 3 and so on as to stay infront of the first group

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I've played every type of course imaginable, but that's beside the point. My point was, would you be happy if you played every Saturday and each and every Saturday the pin was on the front of the 1st green?

BO