Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Pilates

Would this be a waste of time for me? I think it was originally designed to help wounded soldiers recuperate. Anyway, they offer free classes of this at my gym, and I was thinking of popping in. My main goal is to condition my body so I can perform better in judo and kickboxing (jeet kune do)
Old 09-11-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Pilates

Pilates is very good for you, especially if you sit at a desk too much playing poker or have any kind of back problems. IMHO it's the #1 best physical therapy program to prevent or rehabilitate for back problems. It certainly wouldn't be bad for you, and core strength is always useful, but Pilates is not really a sports performance improvement program.

For something like Judo I'd guess that the core strength you get from deadlifts would be more applicable.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Pilates

Pilates does a good job working the core and focusing on other bodyweight exercises. I took one of the free classes (with my wife and a friend of hers). Athletes do/have used Pilates (Brett Favre is one) to better condition themselves.

Couple pointers:

* class will most likely be filled with women--can't think of the downside to that
* make sure it's a beginning class otherwise you may get embarassed (advanced workouts aren't easy)
* be prepared for an out of shape woman to fart while doing some of the exercises, happened in my class. The wife & I were amused

I'd recommend it. I'm open to any new workouts to vary the routine and also maybe find something new that keeps your interest.