Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Blind Stealing In Ring

Why try and steal the blinds in a cash game. Lets say your in 2/4 nl. And you on button and you try and steal SB and BB. So you raise to 12$. Now you are risking 12$ to win 6.
Its not like a tourny where a few chips here and there add up becuase of blinds raising. Is the 6$ ur trying o steal gonna make a huge difference in your roll. Probably not. And it brings up something else. Some1 calls. And the flop is junk and u have junk so u think the villain has junk. So u bet 20$. and the guy raises. Now ur out 32$ trying to win 6$. Now every1 thinks math is so important. WHERE THE HELL IS MATH HERE. NOT WORTH IT. Am i Wrong or Right.

Tell me what u think..
Old 07-28-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Blind Stealing In Ring

[ QUOTE ]
Why try and steal the blinds in a cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I steal blinds because I like money, and stealing the blinds is very profitable according to my statistics and experience.

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say your in 2/4 nl. And you on button and you try and steal SB and BB. So you raise to 12$. Now you are risking 12$ to win 6.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's say you're talking to adults, and are expected to take some time to use proper punctuation.

There is a good chance the blinds give up, and you win $6. Do you know how often they do? That's part of the math. If someone calls, you don't have to give up. There is a possibility that your opponent will not flop quads.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the 6$ ur trying o steal gonna make a huge difference in your roll. Probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Poker is a battle for the blinds. If they aren't worth it to you, quit poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Some1 calls. And the flop is junk and u have junk so u think the villain has junk. So u bet 20$.

[/ QUOTE ]
What was the purpose of your bet? Did you bet because you hear other people bet in that situation, or did you bet because you expect that it will help you more than it will hurt you? I bet when I think it is better than checking, which is better than giving up. It sounds like you'd rather give up instead of having the option to make a continuation bet.

[ QUOTE ]

and the guy raises. Now ur out 32$ trying to win 6$.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's just bad luck. It obviously doesn't happen every time, or even very frequently. Attacking the blinds does not have to win money every time to be profitable. If you need to win money on every play, quit poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Am i Wrong or Right.

[/ QUOTE ]
You seem drunk. For your sake, I hope you are more coherent when sober.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why try and steal the blinds in a cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I steal blinds because I like money, and stealing the blinds is very profitable according to my statistics and experience.

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say your in 2/4 nl. And you on button and you try and steal SB and BB. So you raise to 12$. Now you are risking 12$ to win 6.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's say you're talking to adults, and are expected to take some time to use proper punctuation.

There is a good chance the blinds give up, and you win $6. Do you know how often they do? That's part of the math. If someone calls, you don't have to give up. There is a possibility that your opponent will not flop quads.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the 6$ ur trying o steal gonna make a huge difference in your roll. Probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Poker is a battle for the blinds. If they aren't worth it to you, quit poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Some1 calls. And the flop is junk and u have junk so u think the villain has junk. So u bet 20$.

[/ QUOTE ]
What was the purpose of your bet? Did you bet because you hear other people bet in that situation, or did you bet because you expect that it will help you more than it will hurt you? I bet when I think it is better than checking, which is better than giving up. It sounds like you'd rather give up instead of having the option to make a continuation bet.

[ QUOTE ]

and the guy raises. Now ur out 32$ trying to win 6$.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's just bad luck. It obviously doesn't happen every time, or even very frequently. Attacking the blinds does not have to win money every time to be profitable. If you need to win money on every play, quit poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Am i Wrong or Right.

[/ QUOTE ]
You seem drunk. For your sake, I hope you are more coherent when sober.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you're rude.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 AM

don't play hands in late position. then you can play your blinds and take someone else's $32 when they try and steal your $6!

on a serious note, you are thinking too much about a single case. many times you will flop a good hand, play poker, and win a stack too
Old 07-29-2007, 02:02 PM

To the OP, I originally thought the same but found that many pots go uncontested as often the blinds have cselected auto-fold. Often times when your PF bet is called a CBET will take it down, and if unimproved simply give up and wait for another spot.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:06 PM

You are missing some important factors. Namely, these are centered directly on how the players in the blinds play.

Basically, you want to avoid loose, passives and tough players. What you need are tight players, players who always pay to see a flop and then fold if they don't hit, players who are easily stacked with top pair, players who can be bluffed, etc.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Yes the profitability of stealing is in the probability they will fold + the probability that you will get lucky and hit your hand or cause them to fold on later streets. So, OP, they don't need to fold a full two-thirds of the time to make this a profitable play, though that would make stealing a most profitable play. If you play online at any limit and don't at least occasionally steal the blinds, you're costing yourself money. In live, full-ring, limit at 3/6 I will, maybe a handful of times per year, have an opportunity to steal the blinds. It normally doesn't come because the games are so soft and the players so loose and passive, that bluffing can only come on later streets and then rarely as well, because they call far too often.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow[,] you're rude[!]

[/ QUOTE ]
I offered valuable advice to someone who did not take the time to write coherently, and who appears to be on his way to being banned for asking stupid questions. Note how many threads he has started that have been locked by moderators. You, on the other hand, contributed nothing.

If he had asked in the beginners' forum, I would have answered much more politely. Perhaps you should read that forum instead.