Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: What is the most tragic thing you\'ve ever had to deal with

When I was 20 years old, I had a very brief fling with a girl who was good very good friends with one of my buddies from school. This happened over Christmas break. She had told me that alot of things were going on in her life, and that she didnt want a boyfriend, so I just left it at a fling.

When we got back to school, my buddy told me that both her parents were very sick, and that she dropped out of school to work and help her parents take care of her little brother. He was 14 and she was 20.

As it turns out, her mom had brain cancer and her dad had prostate cancer. 2 months after Christman break, her mom died. 3 months later, her dad died.

To this day it is one of the more tragic things that I have known anyone personaly ro go through.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 PM

This thread is way too depressing, makes me feel pretty fortunate though, the worst thing that ever happened to me was my dad leaving me and my mom (and the country, for that matter) when I was 2, but that turned out much better when she remarried a suitable person.

[ QUOTE ]

Two people i know just got married at the beginning of september. they're both 23. He died of a heart attack at the end of september. He wasn't overweight, or unhealthy that anyone could tell. I don't know for sure, heard a rumor that it might've been because of a blood clot that formed on the plane to/from their honeymoon. i guess because i am also 23 and have a long term girlfriend, i pretty much think it couldn't get much worse than what happened to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question, was this guy taller then average?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
aisle, your 16 yr old brother had a fiance??? wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well like I said he was almost 17, so it's not really that crazy to be engaged at that age. They had been together for a while also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you from? This is, in fact, pretty crazy in most places.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 PM

My best friends mother, died when he was 23 from brain and lung cancer, never smoked, was a doctor, had a great family.
Almost a year later three or four days from the anniversary of her death my friends younger brother, 22, while at college randomly drops dead from a random brain aneurysm while sitting at his computer.

To this day I still wonder how he got through that crap.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 PM

This is a very sad thread. My condolences to all that have lost a very close one.

For me, I lost my best friend in high school. She was killed in a car accident and after she didn't call the night before, I knew something was wrong. Her dumb friend wasn't looking and edged out the car in the middle of the intersection, and all lived except my friend. I was depressed throughout my senior year and still think about her every day.

I've made great strides since her passing. To those who are currently suffering from a lost one, know this- time is a great healer and things WILL get better.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
aisle, your 16 yr old brother had a fiance??? wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well like I said he was almost 17, so it's not really that crazy to be engaged at that age. They had been together for a while also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you from? This is, in fact, pretty crazy in most places.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little young to get engaged, definitely. I don't think it's crazy though, I know several people who have gotten engaged at 17-19, although I suppose it is still not too common.

They didn't have a date or anything to get married, I think they were going to wait for a while before they did it but I guess got engaged to make it official that they want to be together for life.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 PM

Wow, this thread really astounds me - just when I think everyone on 2 plus 2 is totally immature and insensitive and then I see this thread...profound!

Our son was diagnosed at 10 months old with what was supposed to be a fatal brain tumor. We were told to take him home to die in comfort...well I am a "type A" woman who said "that is unacceptable" and did find a doctor across the country who was willing to treat him - she did and he is still with us 7 years later.

He is profoundly disabled as a result of a stroke during his first surgery and has significant cognitive and physical disabilities...pretty sad and tragic on paper as he doesn't eat, talk, walk, or function much above a 1 year old...

That said, when you meet our little guy, there is a profound joy in his heart - he doesn't talk, yet plays the piano without ever having taken a lesson. He is the strongest soul I have ever known.

When we look at everything we have been through and what is ahead of us, we think we are the lucky ones...our son has taught us to value the smallest things in life and be joyful and always hope.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 AM

Wow Danielle. Thank you for sharing that. I find it a testament to humanity that sometimes those who have faced the greatest trials find they have much to be thankful for.

You're completely correct about 2p2. There are hidden gems.

To all the others in this thread who have suffered losses, many so young, my heart goes out to you. I may get flamed to bits for this here, but it's a Mom thing...

(((Hugs)))
Old 11-08-2007, 01:25 AM

I almost don't want to share my story because it doesn't involve somebody close to me dying.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When we look at everything we have been through and what is ahead of us, we think we are the lucky ones...our son has taught us to value the smallest things in life and be joyful and always hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you so much for sharing this! I can't think of anything more tragic that having a child suffer so. I'm glad so many positive things have come from this tho. Nobody knows if someone will have a "good" or a "bad" life, or what kind of joy they will bring to those around them, even those that have severe disabilities. Its one reason I'm so pro-life (even tho I'm an atheist, go figure). I'm glad your son continues to bring so much happiness to your family, in spite of all the challenges. Ya'll are wonderful parents!

Take care.. BB