Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Donk bet by a TAG

BB is a solid TAG (I think in the 24/17/2 neighbourhood.) He seemed fairly straight forward, but thinking. The button is a loose passive.

Dealt to Hero UTG J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero raises, MP folds, CO fold, button calls, SB fold, BB calls.

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, Hero...

When good players donk bet on boards like this it basically never means anything good. We have no extensive history of me folding to his bets either.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Donk bet by a TAG

i assume u raised PF? u dont have that in the hand history here. I think its more likely he has a draw than an ace, itd be odd for him to donk an ace

that being said the button will call 1SB alot also, i actually like raising here to shut out button and try getting to a cheap showdown with BB
Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 PM

I assume you raised PF.
There are some TAGs who donk/fold a A high flop vs. the PF-aggressor - reads on that?
If he´s a thinking player he should know that you c-bet this flop all the time, so the donk seems weird with an ace.

I call the flop and fold the turn UI if Button is still in. HU i´m tempted to calldown depending on my reads.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you raised PF.
There are some TAGs who donk/fold a A high flop vs. the PF-aggressor - reads on that?
If he´s a thinking player he should know that you c-bet this flop all the time, so the donk seems weird with an ace.

I call the flop and fold the turn UI if Button is still in. HU i´m tempted to calldown depending on my reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thinking. When people donk bet flops where they expect the pre-flop raiser to bet, you should get suspicious. When it's a solid player you should get very suspicious.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:57 PM

I actually read a donk bet from a tag here more as a straight draw, flush draw, or a 6. I don't know if i'm more concerned about the tag or the cold caller. Every option seems bad. I say raise and take it from there. I'm not putting in too many more bets than that though. Maybe one more bet on the turn if I can get things hu.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM

if he had a good hand he would have c/red
Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM

i think at lower limits this is probably a weak ace protecting against draws a bit more often than a draw, but he's definitely betting some draws. if you're going to continue in the hand you can either call down (2.5 bets) or raise and either check turn or bet turn and take free showdown (2 bets). raising also hopefully gets the button out of the hand.

so im voting raise.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 PM

call flop/see what button does/see what the turn brings.

I would be very tempted to freeshowdown raise the turn here. When a good player bets into 2 opponents on this flop, he will always have 'something', whether thats a draw or ace, we don't really know but its probably a reasonable mix (ie not heavily weighted either way.

So, the fsdr conditions are:
1. villian is unlikely to 3bet semi-bluff
2. villian may fold a better hand
3. villian is unlikely to fire river unimproved.

I think there is a very very slim chance of seeing a 3bet semi bluff, because your line will be perceived as very very strong (ie, not protecting your hand on the flop, and raising turn after raising UTG).

Number 2 is a little more difficult because BB will never fold a better hand, but, if Button is still in the hand he will possibly folda weak ace. This is very speculative, but, again, your line will look very very strong to him.

IF a decent tag takes a donk flop/bet turn line with a draw, and gets just called by a UTG raiser twice, he really should interpret you as showing down and give up on his bluffs.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:16 PM

"actually like raising here to shut out button"

There are like 2 hands that calls 1 but not 2.

I call here. If button calls and it goes check, check, bet, call on turn i fold like 2/3. Rest of the time I call turn and fold river.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Why do you guys want BB to fold?

Most hands he will fold have only 3 outs. If he calls our raise he prolly has a good draw or us beat.