Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 11:07 AM

Default The official Borat Movie Thread

Saw the Borat movie last night, Borat himself came on stage to present the film before starting. The crowd was really lame, his jokes were falling semi-flat, probably because the audience was filled with art-house intellectual types who are two cool to whoop it up. Borat's jokes were exactly the same from the NY Observer article about the Canadian Film Festival, such as his admiration for our President Bush and his father Barbara Bush. Sasha Cohen is really tall and skinny, I'd guess he is probably 6'5", so he towered over the crowd like an awkward basketball player.

The movie was fantastic, it was more like Jackass than I expected, with some of the skits really pushing the edge of social behavior to the limit. My favorites were the running of the Jew (its safe to say this because you won't believe it until you see it - its not a spoiler), the subway, and almost any scene involving his producer who was absolutely brilliant as his sidekick. I think there were quite a few times when Cohen was in significant danger of getting his ass kicked in real life, its amazing what this man is willing to do for a laugh. As we left the theater they gave us pre-release versions of the movie soundtrack, buttons, and really cool I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kazakhstan stickers that had me cracking up. All in all it was actually as good if not better than I expected, a brilliant piece of gorilla cinema that we will be talking about for many years... Its one of a kind.

Since the movie will finally be released in the next two days, who is going to see it on the first day of release? What was your favorite scene?

*************SPOILER ALERT*************
<font color="white"> The Pamela Anderson scene with the wedding sack, was that staged? It looked too real to be staged, when Borat was taken down by the security guards he looked like he was really hurt!
</font>

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Re: The official Borat Movie Thread

I cannot wait to see this movie. This will be the first movie that I will actually see in a long time, let alone go to on opening day.

If anyone has not seen the Ali G movie - Ali G in Da House, then I HIGHLY recommend you do as it was awesome. If Borat is even half as good I will be very pleased.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:23 AM

I think you mean guerilla cinema....
What I don't understand is how important people still have no clue who this guy is. Watching the Ali G show on HBO and seeing Sam Donaldson, priests and bioethicists coming to talk to this guy and obviously not getting the joke is just weird..
Old 11-01-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you mean guerilla cinema....
What I don't understand is how important people still have no clue who this guy is. Watching the Ali G show on HBO and seeing Sam Donaldson, priests and bioethicists coming to talk to this guy and obviously not getting the joke is just weird..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Cohen has started using Borat/Bruno more because of this. Too many of his interviewees recognize Ali G and know its a joke.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:31 AM

I'll be there on day 1. The first movie I actually cared about seeing on opening day in ages. I've seen all the trailers, promos, appearances....seems like he recycles the same schtick for all the appearances but I can't blame him for that.

It will be NICE!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM

I have to see it this weekend.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 AM

I wasnt thrilled with the Ali G movie. While the individual characters are great, I think what makes his characters really funny is the interaction with unsuspecting people and In da house didnt have that at all.

Rumor is a Bruno film is also on tap...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasnt thrilled with the Ali G movie. While the individual characters are great, I think what makes his characters really funny is the interaction with unsuspecting people and In da house didnt have that at all.

Rumor is a Bruno film is also on tap...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Indahouse was alright, but Borat will be so much better. I also heard the hype around this movie has started a bidding war for the Bruno movie. I doubt that Bruno will be as good as Borat for this simple fact that it's a lot funnier when people are making fun of stupid southerners rather than fashion executives.
Bruno is better in small doses....although with SBC, who knows, maybe he can pull it off.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 AM

Wow. Just went order tickets online for this. There are a ton of movie theatres in NYC and most of them aren't showing it. Not downtown. Not in union square. No place with online ordering is showing it. This is weird and annoying. When they said it was going to be in like half as many theatres i figured all of middle america was shut out. looks like downtown manhattan is too?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:48 AM

Fox Cuts Number of Opening Theaters for Borat

[ QUOTE ]
Twentieth Century Fox this week confirmed that it had slashed by more than half the number of locations where it hoped to debut the mock documentary about a boorish Kazakh TV journalist. On assignment in America, the fictional Borat offends virtually everyone he meets while mangling the English language.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will definitely see this movie. I may wait until it's showing at one of the theaters that serves beer, as it just got cut from the theater I like to go to in Austin.