Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Forcing myself to improve - help needed

Hi,

I'm a comfortable winner at $0.50/$1, but can't quite get to $1/$2.

I want to improve my game and I know there's loads of improvements to make. Attempting to read hands is a prime example. Thing is, I start a session with the best of intentions but quickly get caught up in the moment. Before I know it, it's 3 hours later, I'm winding down for the night and the only hands I "read" were the first three which all folded on the flop.

How can I "remember" I'm supposed to be reading hands (plus the 101 other things I want to do) ? Any suggestions ?

I've got notepad to auto-open every 15 minutes in the middle of the screen with "Read Hands" in a massive font. I'm so used to seeing it now that it doesn't register with me anymore when I auto-click it shut in the middle of the hand I'm playing.

This seeming inability to do what I know I should is really holding me back and annoying me.

NB : I'm 4 tabling.

Cheers.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Forcing myself to improve - help needed

Play some 2/4, I used to have the same problem so when I wanted to get comforatable at the next level I just play a level higher a couple of times to desensatize myself, it has worked very well for me. Just dont risk a big part or ur bankroll to do this though.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 PM

Tape something to your monitor. I used to have:

1. DON'T PLAY TIRED
2. THINK THROUGH EVERY DECISION
Old 11-13-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can I "remember" I'm supposed to be reading hands (plus the 101 other things I want to do) ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know but I do know you quit playing 10 seconds after you manage this task.
Then you find a good job with a 6.000 salary because what you defined is "how to be a good employee".

P.S. try some old religion or borrow bunch of money from Russian guys and then they will teach you how to work 32 hours a day [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
In case you are late with payments they'll teach you very quickly and free [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM

not to be a dick, but if you cant "remember" to do something as simple as focus while playing, nothing anyone is going to tell you here is going to help. Maybe youve got ADD or something
Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 PM

FreeCard4All; Hopefully, as you speed your way towards your Poo-Bah post, you will actually offer some useful advice ?

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] <--- Obligatory smiley
Old 11-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Try this for two weeks or 10 days or a period you choose:

Only play half hour sessions (or even 20 minutes) with the goal of reading every hand. Stay at your own level during this. Take a break between your half hour sessions, and make sure when you start your next session, your are concentrated on reading hands.

Do this for a period of time you choose, so you get used to it, then elongate your sessions.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not to be a dick, but if you cant "remember" to do something as simple as focus while playing, nothing anyone is going to tell you here is going to help. Maybe youve got ADD or something

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-13-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FreeCard4All...you will actually offer some useful advice ?

[/ QUOTE ]
well, I considered the first paragraph as a good advice, because if you can work hard with concentration (what you want to achieve) you really don't need to play poker - some manager will pay you more.

And in fact, I think, the second paragraph contains an advise that is proven to be true [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] <----- optional smile [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

P.S. same applies for those willing to help you. If they are able to help you they are forcing clerks to work hard and not playing poker for living (more over not wasting time by chatting here).

edit// some religions, guns in other people hands and money sometimes do the job (what I meant by the second paragraph).