Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 10:44 AM

Default So I\'ve decided I just hate KJ...

Just recently, after playing a good bit online and live at various stakes, I've come to actually hate KJ suited or not. This is not related to any loss, just my thinking seems to have changed on KJ in particular. I really can't say why I feel this way all the sudden. Was I an idiot for not feeling this way all along? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yes, sometimes it may be the best hand or coin-flip pre-flop, but especially for a small raise of your BB for instance, I just friggin hate it. Unless you happen to flop a boat or straight it seems like this hand in particular is just fraught with peril. 2 pair with it can be the MOST fun. You flop 2 pair, guy with AQ flops a straight on KJ10 etc.

Does this make any sense or am I just ranting? Too much hate for poor old KJ?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: So I\'ve decided I just hate KJ...

It's pretty much a dog and hard to play. I'll play it in position, or for image because I haven't raised in a while, but overall it's not a good hand.

While I'm up with it over the last 15,000 hands, that because of a flopped straight and a big pot. I'd say it's a loser for me over time as cards.

It's ok for making moves, stealing blinds, making weak players fold post flop, but unless it makes a straight I don't like it for pure showdown value.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:11 PM

it's a fine hand if ur the first to raise just don't call raises with it unless it's suited and in position (in a cash game).
Old 11-11-2007, 01:13 PM

There are alot of variables that factor into playing this hand; position, opponents, post flop skills, to name a few.

Flopping anything other can the nut flush can be dangerous with this hand. It is very hard to play post flop and you usually can't win much with it should you connect and no one else comes close. But you can sure lose a bunch.

You should also tend to hate K,10 and A,10. All 3 of these hands can be easily dominated and, for a newer player or one still developing his post flop play, can create some huge losses.

Good Luck
Old 11-11-2007, 01:13 PM

I think I have lost the most money with KJ and AJ because they are often dominated. I rarely call a reraise on a full table, but both are great to open in late position.

Occasionally, I will open in mid position and call raises in late position with KJs and AJs to see the flop with position or in a multi-way pot.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:30 PM

Big brodway cards like KJ and AJ have their place, namely when they're suited, giving you extra ways to win the hand. When offsuit, these hands are not nearly as powerful. If you're playing these in raised pots, or utg in a tough game, you're going to end up in a lot of trouble.

Play them suited and in position.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Agreed with mase