Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Check or push
Check 3 15.00%
Push 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 PM

Default In what order should my child watch the Star Wars movies?

I caught the end of Star Wars: Episode III on HBO the other day and I started thinking...

I have a three month old daughter (see the baby thread). When she is old enough to appreciate Star Wars, should I have her watch the series the way I experienced it (4-6, 1-3), or straight through in order?

The obvious advantage to watching 1 through 6 is that it is chronological, so she can watch the story develop.

But, there is something to be said for the way we all saw it. The original is classic and can stand on its own. Some of the most legendary characters of the last thirty years are developed in 4 through 6. To me, the fun of watching the new Star Wars movies is seeing how everything I already knew about came to be.

I am leaning towards having her watch them the way I experienced them.

What say you, Lounge?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: In what order should my child watch the Star Wars movies?

hahaha....this is a good question...

I think people who haven't seen Star Wars yet should watch it in the original order they came out, not in chronological order.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:37 PM

The answer is release date, obviously. Watching them chronologically has few benefits.

Benefits for release date:
New Hope was easily the "essence" of Star Wars for me.
The "shock" (while she may not get it) is ruined chronologically.
The story develops better Old School then Chronologically I think. This might just be opinion though.

Anyhow, I don't think there is any benefit for chronological that isn't very very small.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:43 PM

such a hard choice really, i have yet to vote. both have their merits. an experiment is truly in order.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I caught the end of Star Wars: Episode III on HBO the other day and I started thinking...

I have a three month old daughter (see the baby thread). When she is old enough to appreciate Star Wars, should I have her watch the series the way I experienced it (4-6, 1-3), or straight through in order?

The obvious advantage to watching 1 through 6 is that it is chronological, so she can watch the story develop.

But, there is something to be said for the way we all saw it. The original is classic and can stand on its own. Some of the most legendary characters of the last thirty years are developed in 4 through 6. To me, the fun of watching the new Star Wars movies is seeing how everything I already knew about came to be.

What say you, Lounge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching them chronologically puts the worst movie up front - she may never watch the others.

Whether that outcome is considered positive or negative I leave to you.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:45 PM

It has to be old school. The only thing the first three do better is the light saber battles. I think seeing all the amazing duels in the first three might make, say, Darth vs Obi Wan, or Darth vs Luke, seem fairly mediocre in comparison.

Also, it would ruin one of the greatest shock scenes ever, when Darth tells Luke "I am your father".

Also, the entire first meeting between Luke and Yoda gets worse, too.

And I just like it better old school. The part where Obi Wan is talking to Luke about his father when they first met on Tatooine is still one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. Knowing the background is a lot worse than, as a kid, being able to imagine it. Not to mention that Lucas totally ruins what should have been an incredible story.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Watching them chronologically puts the worst movie up front - she may never watch the others.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, if she's really young she might think #1 is the best. I definitely remember leaving that movie thinking a toddler would love it.

I voted 'old school'. I've actually spent some time thinking about this myself. The Darth Vader revelation in Empire is what seals it for me. Plus, there's some jokes/lines they put into Eps 1-3 that become better after you've seen 4-6 ("Have the protocol droid's memory wiped", "So uncivilized", etc)
Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What say you, Lounge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether that outcome is considered positive or negative I leave to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first thought. Even if she decides to keep watching, she may be so biased against them at that point that the movies become unenjoyable. Jar-jar could ruin everything for you if you go in 1-6 order.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 PM

Good points by all so far. I think the best two in favor of "Old School" order are a) the "I am your father" revelation is greatly diminished going chronologically, and b) the worst movie is first if you go chronologically (although I don't HATE it).

My baby does love colorful, flashy lights, so I have no doubt she'd like saber duels if I had her watch the movies right now. I think it will be quite a while until I sit her down to watch Star Wars.

In the meantime, her first TV fascination has been football...daddy's little girl all the way.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:56 PM

The only correct answer is to watch the original 4-6 (not the Lucas edited versions).

Stop after that. Pretend there is nothing after that. If your kids say something about seeing "another Star Wars movie in the store" just tell them they are imaging things.