Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: ASKme about being vegan

1. You mentioned that you eat steamed veggies and fresh greens for supper. Do you eat starch with this meal? Do you ever sit there and wonder if you're getting complete protein and make a point of combining rice and beans at mealtime?

2. Do you drink milk with your dry cereal?

3. What's in your refrigerator RIGHT NOW? If I were to come over and hang with you for like a day and a half what would you feed me?

4. Are you ever going to forgive me for saying you look like mozart and that a good way to get annoyed is to hang out with vegans? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 PM

what is your fav vegan dish? include recipe.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 PM

katy,

im pretty sure vegan = no milk...
Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. You mentioned that you eat steamed veggies and fresh greens for supper. Do you eat starch with this meal? Do you ever sit there and wonder if you're getting complete protein and make a point of combining rice and beans at mealtime?

<font color="red">katy, that was just an example. i eat plenty of brown rice and legumes et al. </font>

2. Do you drink milk with your dry cereal?

<font color="red"> soymilk </font>

3. What's in your refrigerator RIGHT NOW? If I were to come over and hang with you for like a day and a half what would you feed me?

<font color="red">my specialty is pasta sauce, so probably that and for another meal something ethnic, like curry or thai stir fry. maybe homemade naan with hummus. </font>

4. Are you ever going to forgive me for saying you look like mozart and that a good way to get annoyed is to hang out with vegans? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="red">um, i didn't have a problem with either. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is your fav vegan dish? include recipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't do favourites for anything, but i'll try to think of something really really good tasting to post later.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Next Monday, I am embarking on a diet to lose 30 lbs by Thanksgiving. People who tell me that's impossible or unhealthy have no idea how bad my intake is, from really unhealthy food all the time to lots of booze and beer.

That said, life is too short for me to eat the way you do, that just doesn't sound fun at all. I mean, I guess over the course of years I could get myself used to eating those sorts of things but yikes, not today. Good thread though, you are not annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

tuq, i eat very well. lots of flavour and variety. in fact, i would venture that my meals are more exciting/exotic than most people's. i prepare dishes from many cultures and do not skimp on quality ingredients. i realize that it sounds boring: "steamed vegetables, oh . . . steak for me, thanks," but it's honestly not that simple.

some vegans eat in a boring way, yes, but it really isn't necessary.

granted, some people just don't want to give up certain things and that's really their choice. it's all about priorities. some people put food before health and some don't. some would rather eat whatever whenever and some would rather not have heart disease.

it's not like i've given up eating well. i've only given up certain things. i enjoy food more than ever. i haven't lost anything--only gained.

also, you don't have to be a nazi about it. it's not going to kill you to have something once in awhile. you can treat yourself from time to time and mack on some juicy flesh. the key really is moderation. people get caught up in the thinking of one or the other: either eat whatever whenever or nothing, but those aren't the only two options. simply cutting back will put you way ahead. our bodies can handle small doses of harmful things. it's when we overload them that they turn on us.

our tastes/desires are not hardwired. we can redirect our neural pathways. things that i thought i couldn't live without are now revolting to me. it's really not as much of a chore as we tell ourselves it will be.

even still, some just don't care and want to go all out. that's cool. it really doesn't matter too much in the end how you live your life. it's just a worthless blip on the cosmic radar anyway.

also, sometimes i don't eat anything and just do drugs all day. so you really can't say this is no fun.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">my specialty is pasta sauce, so probably that and for another meal something ethnic, like curry or thai stir fry. maybe homemade naan with hummus. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds delicious. Can I join the party?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:31 PM

I'm not vegan but I generally don't like meat as much as other things. I'll sometimes go a few weeks or months of veganism without really noticing it. I really like to cook, and people seem shocked that I don't plan my meals around meats. They assume that without meat/cheese/butter that it's impossible to make food with any flavor.

They only think this because they've never given any thought to how to cook the vegetables. Most people (in the US at least) eat vegetables by forcing themselves to because they know it's healthy. So they end up throwing together some nasty overdressed boring salad or some vegetables that have been cooked to death. All the flavor gets destroyed.

If you can cook reasonably well and plan the meal around grains and veggies, you can make some really good [censored]. It's funny how when I go to other people's houses, the veggies are usually terrible. No one ever talks about the veg dish, they just pass it around and eat it because they're mother always told them to eat some veg at dinner. But if I make something, like some stir-fried brussels sprouts, people are always like "holy [censored] this is awesome! And I've never liked brussels sprouts before!" And they look at me like I just turned my own poop into gold.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes yes! Join our party [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Rothko sounds like a fun host and a good cook.

Rothko, I agree with you that many vegetarian dishes are better than meat dishes. I'm still not sure about cooking without butter, cheese or eggs. I mean think about it. How would you make a quiche?

If you don't mind my asking, how much do you weigh? Are you stick thin? I'm a little worried for your bones. Not that I'm saying a person can't be healthy on this diet. It just seems like you'd have to really eat an enormous amount of food or you might lose weight is what I'm thinking.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what colour are your eyes?