FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Question about hand in Sit N Go

1 Table SNG
20$ Buy In
Blinds are 100-150
My Stack 3900
Villian Stack 1500

This guy was moving in a couple of times and the blinds where getting ready to up agian.
Im on the button with pocket 7's. He moves all in right before me and I call. He had K2. He hit a K on the flop and I lost about half my stack.

There where 5 players left. SHould I have made this call???
Im wondering if I should have just played tighter and slide into the money. I know SNG theory is diffrent. My read on him was right, but Im not sure if I should have called that with 77, when my stack was better than average.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Question about hand in Sit N Go

There is a forum called 'STT Strategy' for Sngs.

Your call is fine though if he has been pushing a lot. You don't really want to call if it's likely to be a coin flop but if you are offten going to have him dominated like in this hand then folding is a mistake.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Your call is fine though if he has been pushing a lot. You don't really want to call if it's likely to be a coin flop but if you are offten going to have him dominated like in this hand then folding is a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the domination here.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 AM

You totally made the right decision. You were about 70-30% and caught him, it was just one of the cases where he sucked out. Don't even worry about it because the play is very much going to be +EV for you in the long run! Also, calling bluffers like this is a crucial skill to develop in any tournament, espclly as the blinds rise.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:10 PM

dont like the call in that position. The reason being is that there are some people to act behind you that makes this a -ev. if one wakes up with a real hand you are screwed.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:14 PM

You don't say what your relative positions were. If I was big blind, I would probably call as the odds would be better and you don't have to worry about anyone behind you waking up with a hand. Otherwise I would probably fold to be honest, although you have said that he is moving in a lot, so his range could include Ax and Kx, you are still most likely to be facing a coin flip, and could be up against an overpair. While you do have to loosen up towards the middle/end of STTs, it is always an advantage to get your chips in first. Sooner or later this guy will get knocked out by someone (maybe you) with a premium hand, so I wouldn't worry too much about 'making a stand' - that just increases the likelihood of doubling up an aggressive player.

I wouldn't say you did anything 'wrong' (obviously you made the right call in this instance as you were so far ahead,) I just think that your reasonably sized stack could be better used to put pressure on the short stacks rather than gambling for half your chips in a marginal situation.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont like the call in that position. The reason being is that there are some people to act behind you that makes this a -ev. if one wakes up with a real hand you are screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to that point, hehe...
Old 07-23-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are still ahead if villian hits his 2.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are still ahead if villian hits his 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting definition of "domination". The effect is the same, of course, except that a third 2 will put him ahead, whereas another ace would not improve AQ vs AK.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 AM

I think the decision is borderline but this:
[ QUOTE ]

This guy was moving in a couple of times

[/ QUOTE ]

would incline me to a call. That's because you suspect he has a fairly wide range for pushing, and your hand should be well ahead of a lot of it.

When he turned his hand over, you should have been delighted. Your call was correct and you got the chips in way way ahead. The rest is unimportant.