Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: bobby flay\'s throwdown

I have a problem with the show in general. I think the show is actually rigged to give Bobby an unfair advantage. Basically, Bobby takes and puts a "twist" on the item and then when the judges compare, they are comparing the traditional dish rated "the best" with Bobby's which is an entirely different entree: I'm going to make a philly cheese steak, but instead of using tradition philly cheese steak ingredients, I'm going to change everything ---- guess what, it's no longer a "philly cheese steak" when you change all of the ingredients; it might be really good and even better than the "best" philly cheese steak, but it isn't a philly cheese steak
Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a problem with the show in general. I think the show is actually rigged to give Bobby an unfair advantage. Basically, Bobby takes and puts a "twist" on the item and then when the judges compare, they are comparing the traditional dish rated "the best" with Bobby's which is an entirely different entree: I'm going to make a philly cheese steak, but instead of using tradition philly cheese steak ingredients, I'm going to change everything ---- guess what, it's no longer a "philly cheese steak" when you change all of the ingredients; it might be really good and even better than the "best" philly cheese steak, but it isn't a philly cheese steak

[/ QUOTE ]

very true
Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've watched a bunch of these and I'm convinced that if Bobby just had like 2 weeks to a month to practice, he'd be better than these guys.

The funniest one ever was the one with doughnut-maker guy. Dude was such a pu**y. He's like the best doughnut maker in the world and his boy had to talk him into doing the challenge. The dude didn't even wan't to do it. And, even after he agreed, he wouldn't make them live, he only used ones he already had made earlier. Imagine walking up to Michael Jordan and challenging him to a game of hoops and have him thinking about whether he wanted to play or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably being a world-class donutmaker isn't all that hard and he didn't want everyone to see how he does it.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:39 AM

elwood,

Actually the show is rigged against Flay. He is supposed to lose far more than he wins.

J
Old 05-23-2007, 11:35 AM

When I first saw Bobby Flay I really didn't like him.
Seemed really arrogant.

After watching him on Throwdown and Iron Chef he seems like a real nice guy.

Watched the throwdown with the "punk rock / cupcake chick"
last night. Good show but I have no desire to try Bobby's
gingerbread mango cupcakes.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 AM

I love the show, but I think that's just because I like to see Flay's ass handed to him.

He used to seem like a total prick to me, but I think he's tempered that down quite a bit because of his massive success. I don't dislike him as much as I used to, but I still enjoy watching him lose. Must everything be in a southwestern style?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 PM

From the Iron Chef wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
Bobby Flay (New York Battle and 21st Century Battle) — Flay entered into a bit of a rivalry with Iron Chef Japanese Morimoto during the show's special New York Battle. Flay complained that his side of the kitchen was poorly laid out (it was noted in an Iron Chef America "Behind the Scenes" episode that the kitchen was hastily set up in the provided forum). At one point Flay received an electric shock, transmitted by a wet floor and faulty wiring, when he grabbed a metal pan on the range. Morimoto took exception to Flay's behavior, especially when Flay stood on his cutting board at the end of the battle. Flay has said in interviews that he was asked by show producers to play up an ugly American stereotype. Morimoto won, and Flay demanded a rematch. He got his wish, and his revenge, in the 21st Century Battle in Japan, where, at battle's end, he tossed the cutting board off the counter before climbing on it, so as not to offend Morimoto by standing on his cutting board again. Flay is now an Iron Chef alongside Morimoto on Iron Chef America.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember seeing a special on this and thinking it wasn't so bad, he was just happy to be competing and didn't mean to offend anyone by standing on the cutting board. If the bolded part is true, however, why would he agree to this?

As for Throwdown! I don't know how I'd feel if I thought I was getting my own special on the Food Network only to be punk'd by Flay and crew. I guess like stated, a lot of people know or have suspicions anyways, so guess its not too big a deal.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Man I love Bobby Flay. His shows are just interesting. I really liked grillin N chillin and i'm stoked that it's grilling week on Food Network. This show is pretty good. I think he's at a disadvantage in these challenges for sure.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man I love Bobby Flay. His shows are just interesting. I really liked grillin N chillin and i'm stoked that it's grilling week on Food Network. This show is pretty good. I think he's at a disadvantage in these challenges for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember 50 cent saying that Eminem couldn't be beat in a rapping battle, but he cheats. He makes you go first.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and how about that little disadvantage of getting ONE trial run and then having to compete against the best in the world at something they've been doing their entire lives?