Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 09:49 PM

Default 100nl: BB special, flop trips, get raised by TAG

Villain is 14/5 after 60 hands

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 7 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $94.00
Hero (BB): $94.50
UTG: $40.75
UTG+1: $116.20
MP: $100.00
CO: $40.45
BTN: $180.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7 Players)
2 folds, MP calls $1.00, CO calls $1.00, BTN folds, SB calls $0.50, Hero checks

Flop: ($4) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $8.00</font>, 2 folds, Hero needs a plan!

Help...
Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: 100nl: BB special, flop trips, get raised by TAG

At the minimum call. I think 3-betting here blows everything out of the water that you *MIGHT* be ahead of, which probably isn't much at this point. See a turn, try to play a little pot control...because unless you pair your kicker you're probably going to end up playing the board with your 7.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:36 AM

call, check/call turn
Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 AM

Given his numbers, he could have an overpair here. 88, 99, maybe even TT. Or he could have 55. A7 even suited is a stretch. 87s, 76s, possibly, but I'm not sure he would play SC first in from MP.

So, basically, you're either up against an overpair or a full house where you're drawing to 4 outs and rarely you are up against just trips where he has a higher kicker.

I'd agree a flat call is in order. Then on the turn I guess we check/call.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:09 PM

What sort of bet are you planning on calling on the turn? Seems like that is the critical decision point. If we call a PSB on the turn and we check the river? How are we not going to end up all-in on the river with a hand we hate? If we call a 1/2 pot bet and check the river we are pretty much committed to calling another 1/2-2/3 pot value bet on the end.

I think I like a flop flat call and leading the turn for $18 or so and folding to a shove plays better here. No?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:31 PM

You're usually going to be ahead here, but extracting when you're ahead will be difficult, and losing a lot when you're behind will be easy.

[ QUOTE ]
Given his numbers, he could have an overpair here. 88, 99, maybe even TT. Or he could have 55.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that. 60 hands isn't a lot, but 14/5 isn't really TAG, it's nit. Or TiP. This really looks like an overpair/underpair(66) trying to define itself.

Raising probably folds out all hands you're ahead of, but by flat calling, there's a ton of bad turn cards against a small overpair, namely an overcard to that overpair, killing your action. You'll probably get a little value on the river if you play it this way and he indeed has an overpair.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I like a flop flat call and leading the turn for $18 or so and folding to a shove plays better here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me, too. Why do people thing c/c &gt; b/f on the turn?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I like a flop flat call and leading the turn for $18 or so and folding to a shove plays better here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me, too. Why do people thing c/c &gt; b/f on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]because you fold hands you're beating alot of the time.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:31 PM

B/F turns your hand into a bluff
Old 08-20-2007, 02:39 PM

What's shoving on you that you beat? Maybe JJ? It seems that if an A-J comes on the turn and the villain is still willing to shove on us, then we beat very little. Maybe we get bluffed once in a while, but that seems to be a better balance than check/call turn, check/call river where we call off 1/2 of our chips hopelessly behind. Do you disagree? Do you think that the villain will value bet a lesser hand on the end enough to make our call worth it?

The pot will be $20 on the turn. Check/call $15 leaves a $50 pot with $70 or so behind. Check the river and villain bets $25-30, can we fold? Unless we plan to fold to a bet on the river, it seems to me that the check call line has us paying off the villain a lot.