Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Beat: Nearing busto - What to do?

So I've been playing semi-professionally since August of last year. I started off playing MTTs and SNGs and moved to cash games with MTTs and SNGs mixed in. I started running bad last semester around October( I go to Syracuse U.). It was a sick downswing and the only thing kept my bankroll alive was the fact that I was running normally live (Turning Stone).

Around Feb. of this year was the peak of my downswing as I almost went broke and had to rebuild from almost nothing(I got staked a bit as well). I kept grinding while taking way too many shots at MTTs out of my roll. I was playing well but I would constantly final table bubble due to either a lost flip or a suckout. Sounds pretty trite, but it's the truth and friends who watched me play online/live cringe at some of the beats I've taken.

I was always trying to put myself back into the mindset to grind but it's really hard when you beat levels substantially higher than the one you're playing. Recently I'd been 4-6 tabling .5/1 NL at around 8/100 but couldn't take the wins seriously and played MTTs out of my bankroll.

What really sent me over the edge was a pretty heartbreaking beat i took 2 weeks ago. I played the 100k gauranteed and was playing great. It's down to 15 players, 32k for 1st. I am 5/15 at this point, to sum it up quickly i get it all in with KK vs 66 on a JJ2r flop for more or less a shared CL with ActionJeff and the villain turns a 6 to bust me. I've taken plenty of beats like this and worse but this just set me off.
So my choices are:

1. Get staked - I've done it before, and would most def. be able to do it again since I have good stats.

2. Play out of my roll - All or nothing.

3. Grind low stakes games (lower than even .5/1 NL)

4. Get a job - this would be a major beat and would make me feel sick inside because as a college student I would not be able to make any decent money, and the fact that I could beat a ton of games online for much better $ would drive me nuts.

Appreciate the Advice,
Stan
Old 05-31-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Beat: Nearing busto - What to do?

get a bankroll
play in your bankroll
play well
?????
profit
Old 05-31-2007, 02:36 AM

The fact that you've been in "downswing" since October (lol I wonder why since then...) leads me to believe you'll do the following:

2, then 4. Then 2, 2, 2, etc. Maybe a few 1's thrown in before you finally 4.

The only real way you're ever gonna be a successful poker player is option 3. Based on this post, I don't think you're capable of it though.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you've been in "downswing" since October (lol I wonder why since then...) leads me to believe you'll do the following:

2, then 4. Then 2, 2, 2, etc. Maybe a few 1's thrown in before you finally 4.

The only real way you're ever gonna be a successful poker player is option 3. Based on this post, I don't think you're capable of it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a winning player, my problem is controlling my impulses and sticking to a grind. It's
hard for me to have any credibility in the situation I am in obviously.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:47 AM

stan the man
Old 05-31-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
stan the man

[/ QUOTE ]

????
Old 05-31-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
way too many shots at MTTs out of my roll

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
but couldn't take the wins seriously and played MTTs out of my bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, maybe you should stop doing this.

People take bad-beats all the time...even in big tourneys on the bubble.

I finished 5th, 4th and 3rd out of 200 or so in back-to-back-to-back WSOP satellites on kind of lousy beats.
It happens.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:08 AM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

Either

A) You've pinpointed the problem you have as a poker player (Too many shots at MTTs, refusing to play within your roll)

or

B) You suck at poker and are just like every other average idiot who has no clue what they're doing but still thinks they're a "winning player"

You should probably not be a [censored] and just practice good BR management for a while to see which one is the truth
Old 05-31-2007, 03:10 AM

get a job, you currently lack the discipline to play correctly. Maybe some time slaving in the real world will help you not be a degen with [censored] bankroll skills like the majority of the 2p2 "pros"
Old 05-31-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
way too many shots at MTTs out of my roll

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
but couldn't take the wins seriously and played MTTs out of my bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, maybe you should stop doing this.

People take bad-beats all the time...even in big tourneys on the bubble.

I finished 5th, 4th and 3rd out of 200 or so in back-to-back-to-back WSOP satellites on kind of lousy beats.
It happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand, I tell myself this all the time. Control yourself, make a steady grind. I can safely grind sit and gos, I'm fairly confident that I can beat almost all sit and gos online. Discluding the super nosebleed.

The beats I've been taking are horrid, I'm not exaggerating, but I am also not going to post them because I'm pretty sure no one here really wants to see more bad beats. The thing that makes them so unbearable for me is that it's a tease and a mindgame all at once. Time and time again I would get close to very significant money only to take a sick beat. I know that in the longrun it's supposed to even out and that's what's making it so hard.

I may not have a ton of posts but I do understand statistics very well and am not scared of variance.
It's just a rollercoaster that I keep putting myself through, running bad, taking shots, getting so close when the money is important and just getting a brutal beat.