Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 01:39 PM

Default What would a Ron Paul Presidency Look Like?

Clearly everyone would be out of Iraq pretty fast, since the Commander in Chief could do this. But then he will need to rely on Congress to pass bills. If Paul is anything like how he is in the House, anything that has any unconstitutional part will be vetoed by Dr. No. This means anything short of a minimalist government will be shot down.

Congress will have to override his veto to pass any legislation. It would be likely that Congress would have to come to some sort of agreement to get the overriding veto, since its unlikely they would dismantle the government as much as Paul would want. Expect a few government shutdowns and major fights, especially since Dr. No doesn't like to compromise. This will piss off a lot of people and generally be seen as a crisis. It wouldn't surprise me if a large group tried to get him impeached as well. In any case, after 4 years, everyone will be so scared of these small government extremists, a large scale socalist will likely win the next election, promising to make the government fix all these problems.

I'm all for supporting Ron Paul and would personally love if he were in charge of things, but I'm afraid that it might just make things worse in the long run. The best reason to support Ron Paul is not to get him elected, but to get his ideas out there and hope more mainstream candidates will implement them and slowly move things toward his vision.

Any other predictions?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: What would a Ron Paul Presidency Look Like?

"In any case, after 4 years, everyone will be so scared of these small government extremists, a large scale socalist will likely win the next election, promising to make the government fix all these problems."

LOL?

Anyway, Ron Paul's Presidency would likely be entirely about foreign policy, with some moderate efforts to curb the size of the welfare state and a hardline approach to crushing any new efforts to regulate, subsidise or otherwise play with the economy. Some of the worst laws would get repealed and some of the least effective programs would be slashed. The 500 billion saved from ending this crazy foreign policy would mean huge tax breaks for all.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:20 PM

I'm with GCYW, Ron Paul would focus almost primarily on ending interventionist foreign policy in his first term.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:48 PM

How long for him to legalize ALL drugs?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:49 PM

"How long for him to legalize ALL drugs? "

There's no chance he'd do that... what he will do is stop the federal war on drugs (for example DEA agents are raiding legal medical marijuana facilities in California right now, he would put a stop to that).
Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"How long for him to legalize ALL drugs? "

There's no chance he'd do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sucks!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:30 PM

His presidency will look like anyone else's, at least in one sense; it will begin with a recession, caused by the last half decade of massive inflation.

However, under Dr. Paul that recession would be short and sharp. Under anyone else it will be long and painful.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Are you guys electing a president or a dictator? Unless you elect a Congress to go with him, there's no way he's going to do virtually anything.

I'm starting to think you guys really do want a dictatorship, but one that lasts just long enough for the government to wither away as AC peace descends over the land. Where have I heard this before? Let me think...
Old 07-27-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys electing a president or a dictator? Unless you elect a Congress to go with him, there's no way he's going to do virtually anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is actually a lot he can do. He can veto bills left and right, issue executive orders, dismantle the military empire (he is, after all, the commander in chief), and not insignificantly, fire a lot of Federal employees (ala Reagan firing the air traffic controllers).

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to think you guys really do want a dictatorship, but one that lasts just long enough for the government to wither away as AC peace descends over the land. Where have I heard this before? Let me think...

[/ QUOTE ]

And . . . right back to being an insulting ass.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is actually a lot he can do. He can veto bills left and right, issue executive orders, dismantle the military empire (he is, after all, the commander in chief), and not insignificantly, fire a lot of Federal employees (ala Reagan firing the air traffic controllers).

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. Federal employees are practically unfirable, unless Congress authorizes it. He can refuse to hire more, but he won't get very far firing existing ones, unless they do something stupid like strike in violation of the law. He also can't dismantle the military. He can tell it what to do, but he can't make it smaller. Again, Congress holds that authority.

As far as my being an ass, glad you got the reference. I'm sure that went right over a lot of heads.