Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em study group

[ QUOTE ]
if the button+both blinds were loose and quite bad, say 40-50% VPIP range and heavily defended their blinds. Then its probably safe to assume they are also passive preflop. I would think limping CO there would be optimal simply because all your doing is inflating the pot with a drawing hand. Esp. if they don't notice you limp your weak hands and raise ur strong ones.

I think holding QQ in that spot where button+both blinds are highly likely to call is very interesting. It seems like matt would argue that limping is optimal here (assuming all 3 ppl will call >80% of the time).

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd argue for folding unless they are serious calling stations, since raising is not expected to narrow the field enough of the time.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM

yea matt I just assume if they are so bad preflop that raising 76s to isolate one of them isn't worth it, then limping in with a hand like that to hit purely two pair/straight/trips would be worth it. Ie. I assumed their calling stations, cuz they generally do call way too often.

edit: sry I meant raising preflop to isolate one of them isn't doable since it goes 3-4 way postflop too often.

if one is aggro pre I agree folding is best.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 PM

matt,

Just got mine. Love it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 AM

Matt, Sunny & Ed -

I've just finished reading the book and I loved it. It was a great kick-start after taking 2 months off from poker. In my estimation your book was as substantial a contribution to the NL community as SSNL was to the limit community, and that's saying quite a lot. I'd recommend your book to anyone learning NL.

I like the idea of a study group, and I'd like to contribute & participate. I'm afraid that the study group would be severely hamstrung -- even actively sabotaged -- in many forums here b/c much of your advice differs from 2p2 standards. This is usually met with violence. Case in point, just look at all the criticism you are receiving from people who haven't even read the book. They read an excerpt somewhere, drew some conclusions, and the haterade started flowing.

I agree with you however that the uNL forum would make a better home, as it is less gratuitously combative. If the study group happens in uNL, I'll try to participate.

Grats on the book.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt, Sunny & Ed -

I've just finished reading the book and I loved it. It was a great kick-start after taking 2 months off from poker. In my estimation your book was as substantial a contribution to the NL community as SSNL was to the limit community, and that's saying quite a lot. I'd recommend your book to anyone learning NL.

I like the idea of a study group, and I'd like to contribute & participate. I'm afraid that the study group would be severely hamstrung -- even actively sabotaged -- in many forums here b/c much of your advice differs from 2p2 standards. This is usually met with violence. Case in point, just look at all the criticism you are receiving from people who haven't even read the book. They read an excerpt somewhere, drew some conclusions, and the haterade started flowing.

I agree with you however that the uNL forum would make a better home, as it is less gratuitously combative. If the study group happens in uNL, I'll try to participate.

Grats on the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes alive!

I also agree, and I will say that whilst vigorous debate will be encouraged, I am stating now that I will both monitor and participate in the study group and will hand otut bans for flaming.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:38 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
Matt, Sunny & Ed -

Grats on the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grunch,

Thanks a lot. I'm really glad it hit home for you the way we intended it to.

Whatever you guys want with the study group is totally fine with us.

-Sunny
Old 08-03-2007, 03:52 AM

looking forward to reading this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2007, 11:36 AM

Is there a projected start date for this?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:41 PM

Sunny and Matt,

I'm sorry if it's common knowledge, but can I ask what your backgrounds are? I mean, are you long time 2+2ers who've decided to write a book, online pros (how long for, what limits, your book was originally titles small stakes nl right?), live players, all of the above, etc.

I'm just curious as I don't know anything about you
Old 08-03-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Matt, Sunny & Ed -

Grats on the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes alive!

I also agree, and I will say that whilst vigorous debate will be encouraged, I am stating now that I will both monitor and participate in the study group and will hand otut bans for flaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this and I am glad that the ideas in this book will be able to be discussed freely.