Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Two pair any good here? PLO50

SB has been LAGgy with stats around 80/30/1.5
The 1.5 is not including his preflop aggression factor, which is quite low because he calls so much. Villain likes to bet, but often just calls which lowers the aggression factor.

SB doesn't seem to slow play much.

No other reads on the other players.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.50 BB (6 handed)

UTG ($69.25)
MP ($20.30)
CO ($49.90)
Button ($32.55)
SB ($54)
Hero ($50) - BB

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, CO calls $0.50, 1 fold, SB completes, Hero checks.

Stardard preflop check.

Flop: ($2) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks.

Not a good flop for me. I plan to check and fold to any bet.

Turn: ($2) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](4 players)
SB bets $1.5, Hero raises to $4, UTG folds, CO calls $4, SB calls $2.50.

SB probably would have bet with two pair on the flop and there is a good chance the other players would have taken a shot with AJXX or A6XX on the flop. I think that my top and bottom pair are good. If I am wrong, many players will fold A6XX and sometimes AJXX.

I decide to make a medium sized raise which should drive out some draws but also not put too much at risk in case I am wrong here. In retrospect, the difference between my bet and pot isn't that much and I probably should have bet full pot. This is where I will probably get berated by 2p2ers for not betting full pot ($5).

Should I have folded?

I'm not surprised that the SB called but I don't like the CO's call and plan to check the river and call a smallish bet if the board isn't too scary.

River: ($14) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $12.5, SB folds, Hero folds.

I showed weakness on the river and have no idea if CO has A9XX, a set of 9's, a missed draw. Is there anyway I can call this? Should I have made a blocking bet? (I will sometimes bet out 1/3 pot to get calls when I hold a great hand but my opponent probably has very little).

Final Pot: $14
Old 10-22-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Two pair any good here? PLO50

Looks fine to me. CO could well be bluffing a missed draw here, but you took your shot on the turn and didn't improve.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:48 AM

OP - Generally I think a river call is slightly spewy so good fold. And, as thisnamedoesntfi says, you took your shot, didn't improve and was prepared to c/f.

You're right in thinking that a flopped two pair would have probably led it so I don't know what he could have but I just think you're behind here...close one...
Old 10-22-2007, 02:33 PM

I'm not really sure I get the reasoning here at all. Honestly, dont be afraid to pick a read and go with it. I think it is incredibly weak for you to raise the turn and fold the river here. If someone value-bets A9 this thin, then good bet, take my money. In a 25/50c game, I think it is important not to put your opponents on too many levels. This to me just looks like a "oh, I'm in position and nobody has bet, maybe if I do, I can take down the pot" kind of play. I actually like your river check but only if you are going to be snap-calling this type of position bet. I think CO's range is much more likely to be a missed draw than 99xx, etc..
Old 10-22-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really sure I get the reasoning here at all. Honestly, dont be afraid to pick a read and go with it. I think it is incredibly weak for you to raise the turn and fold the river here. If someone value-bets A9 this thin, then good bet, take my money. In a 25/50c game, I think it is important not to put your opponents on too many levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not putting him on too many levels. Most players in my experience will just check a missed draw on the river 3way even in position. Certainly most players will not bet pot (some will, of course) 3way when two other players have shown a strong interest in the hand. I had no read on the CO, so I'm folding this hand.

It is also possible that CO had a monster hand on the flop and checked to induce a turn bet. Perhaps when it got raised he was further slowplaying or got a little scared or was hoping SB would come over the top. CO could also have a draw, but when he bets pot on the river, I have to give more weight to a strong hand.

[ QUOTE ]

This to me just looks like a "oh, I'm in position and nobody has bet, maybe if I do, I can take down the pot" kind of play. I actually like your river check but only if you are going to be snap-calling this type of position bet. I think CO's range is much more likely to be a missed draw than 99xx, etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

This could very well be the case, but how often do you think you will win here against an unknown? If it was the player in the SB who was in the CO, I would be much more likely to call since he is much more aggressive.

Perhaps this is a leak in my game.