Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Live 6/12, river play questioned

First post, be gentle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Table is 9 handed and playing LP preflop, fairly passive postflop. To the two players that are capable of noticing it, Hero's image is tight aggressive preflop, and fairly aggressive postflop.

SB is playing LP because he's in the middle of a huge downswing, but had been playing a fairly solid LAG game earlier in the session.

BB will not raise from the blinds without aces (he's shown down kings twice from the SB) and has been playing very aggressively on the flop with strong hands and draws but shuts down often on the turn. He rarely bets a river without a very strong hand. We've played together before, and he has announced to the table (while folding a SB to my UTG raise) that he's not giving me any money today.

Here's how it went down:

UTG limps, hero limps A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG+3, LP calls, BTN calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, LP checks, BTN bets, SB calls, BB checkraises, UTG folds, Hero 3 bets, LP folds, BTN folds, SB cold calls 2 while glaring at me, BB calls.

Turn comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB calls.

River comes J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB checkraises, Hero 3 bets, SB tanks, mumbles to himself and finally folds, BB 4 bets, and I....?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Live 6/12, river play questioned

you has a Full boat....whats the problem?? if he has AJ so be it you gotta pay him off. i probably put in like 5-6 bets on the river.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:42 AM

There is one possible hand that beats you. BB play does not look like a flush to me. It looks more like the other A. I would call. By my rough count there are now almost 20 BB in the pot. You only need to be right 1 in 20 times to make this call break even, and I suspect you will be good way more often than that. On the other hand if you are absolutely sure that this player would not 4-bet without the absolute nuts, I suppose you could fold, but I’m not sure how you could ever be certain of that.

If raising is still an option, because there is no cap on heads up pots in this game, I would probably still call, but another raise or two could be justified I guess.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 AM

Sorry, I should have made it more clear in my original post. I'm not considering folding, but the merits of raising vs just calling. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:50 AM

Start by betting the flop
Old 07-17-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First post, be gentle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Table is 9 handed and playing LP preflop, fairly passive postflop. To the two players that are capable of noticing it, Hero's image is tight aggressive preflop, and fairly aggressive postflop.

SB is playing LP because he's in the middle of a huge downswing, but had been playing a fairly solid LAG game earlier in the session.

BB will not raise from the blinds without aces (he's shown down kings twice from the SB) and has been playing very aggressively on the flop with strong hands and draws but shuts down often on the turn. He rarely bets a river without a very strong hand. We've played together before, and he has announced to the table (while folding a SB to my UTG raise) that he's not giving me any money today.

Here's how it went down:

UTG limps, hero limps A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG+3, LP calls, BTN calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, LP checks, BTN bets, SB calls, BB checkraises, UTG folds, Hero 3 bets, LP folds, BTN folds, SB cold calls 2 while glaring at me, BB calls.

Turn comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB calls.

River comes J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB checkraises, Hero 3 bets, SB tanks, mumbles to himself and finally folds, BB 4 bets, and I....?

[/ QUOTE ]

call the river and puke on the chips you call with.

raise preflop.

bet the flop.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:22 AM

Preflop: Good. (lowest I raise here is ATs)

Flop: Lead. Raising once you checked was good though.

Turn: Good.

River: Looks like there is a good chance you are beat. If five bets is the cap then I'm ok with you raising but if it's unlimited raises then I just call.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You only need to be right 1 in 20 times to make this call break even, and I suspect you will be good way more often than that. On the other hand if you are absolutely sure that this player would not 4-bet without the absolute nuts, I suppose you could fold, but I’m not sure how you could ever be certain of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who folds here should quit poker.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you has a Full boat....whats the problem?? if he has AJ so be it you gotta pay him off. i probably put in like 5-6 bets on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Four bets is plenty here.

-McGee
Old 07-17-2007, 10:19 AM

Any more than 4 is spew.