Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 06:17 PM

Default AC Hand - 6th Street Scenario

Atlantic City 75 game. I have (Ad 5d) As in an early position. I have been losing somewhat heavily and it may appear to others that I'm steaming (like a rack in one dealer or so).

Anyway, I raise directly after the bring-in. A loose player who has also been losing makes it 150 with a jack up. Now, a solid player (with aggressive tendencies) makes it $225 with a five up, which is interesting to say the least. I go ahead and make it $300, the jack drops and the solid player calls. I won't include the suits since we both had ragged boards.

4th

Hero: (A 5) A 3

Villain: (x x) 5 9

I bet, he calls.

5th Street

Hero: (A 5) A 3 Q

Villain: (x x) 5 9 2

I bet, he calls.

6th Street

Hero: (A 5) A 3 Q Q

Villain: (x x) 5 9 2 3

Your play.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: AC Hand - 6th Street Scenario

You didn't remember suits. Seems solid player likely has a very live 3-flush or straight flush, the other two aces, or the other 3 fives. Seems unlikely he is rolled up, since you have the case five. Plus some people would flat call if rolled up. A lot of people would flat call with a strong drawing hand to keep it 3-way.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:06 PM

I don't recall how live his suit was on third street, but he was catching offsuit cards and calling. His board did not have to one suit until maybe sixth (if at all).

Jeff
Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 PM

Ummm... bet?

Since you have a 5 I'd suspect he likely has the other two aces. Hopefully he makes aces up and will pay you off.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:24 PM

He probably has a buried pair or whatever. Not betting would be very suspicious.

Is your idea is to give him a freecard so he doesn't fold and will feel compelled to payoff river? That's a bad plan against a competent opponent.

Otherwise I really don't understand what the question is.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:35 PM

check it, u know why
Old 04-01-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check it, u know why

[/ QUOTE ]
Could you elaborate please? I guess if villain can be relied upon to bet the other two aces (where he might otherwise fold if we bet) than check/calling becomes a very attractive line. But call me insane, I really hate giving free cards, especially to a probable wheel draw.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check it, u know why

[/ QUOTE ]
Could you elaborate please? I guess if villain can be relied upon to bet the other two aces (where he might otherwise fold if we bet) than check/calling becomes a very attractive line. But call me insane, I really hate giving free cards, especially to a probable wheel draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly, I should have in the first place but I'm lazy lol. Having too much fun soaking up the sun in Spain [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, the hand is stud high, so no worries about the low draw. As far as why I like checking, Jeff says villain is a fairly decent player. If this is true, Jeff's hand has got to be quite transparent by sixth. If he doesnt have Aces and Queens, then he has at the very least queens up. I think a lot of the time when Jeff bets, villain either folds or raises when he has Jeff crushed (trips most likely) I just dont see many hands a solid opponent can have on sixth with his board that he would just call with against someone whom he views as a solid opponent. Id be interested in reasonings for betting, but I'll be in London for a week, so I probably wont get back to this thread for a while.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, the hand is stud high, so no worries about the low draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
A wheel beats two pair even in stud hi :0) But your reasoning about only getting action from better hands is what I initially thought as well. But when I thought about it some more, it looks like he's calling down with aces (wouldn't he raise already with trips??? esp since he's described as "aggressive tendencies"?) So I like a bet to protect our hand. Of course if we think he'll bet bare aces check/call should be automatic imho. Given the "aggressive" description I think I'll go with check/call as my final answer [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2007, 05:10 PM

Assuming suits irrelevant (a rather big assumption, but okay), a decent player will give up with one pair looking at an overpair on hero's board. A bet has no value against a decent player. Still, I think a bet is in order to shut out a possible small straight draw. A hand like (A5)5 has a few outs and I wouldn't want him to catch one for free.

Also, a raise from villain would be a very good indication of strength, and isn't likely to be a free card play this late. I think both bet/fold and check/call are defensible, with both unfortunately being exploitable.

Regarding the exploitability of the bet, you mention a loose player completing/folding with a Jack showing. That reeks of a broadway draw or other high bag hand to me, so it's quite likely he folded a Queen or an Ace. Villain then knows you're unlikely to be either full or drawing very live to fill up. That means his draw with a small pair is stronger than usual in this spot, and he can semi-bluff raise with it.

I don't think there is an iron-clad play here, but I would bet, intending to fold to a raise.