Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 08:14 AM

Default Re: 75 Stud Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Mason is right...but the thing is there are players who bet and pay off a raise with Queens up here. Also, if you sometimes make these relatively thin river raises it makes you much tougher to play against.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree completely. If against a very good player, looking at it in a vacuum, then Mason is correct. However, looking at it over a large sample size, I believe that there is a higher overall long-term expectation in the river raise because of the number of players who will pay it off with q's up.

Blumpkin's point about making you harder to play against is also *extremely* important. Even if the raise were only EV neutral, the effect on your image is certainly worth something. It's kind of the same concept as why you often want to re-raise a lock low heads up in stud8 - it costs nothing except possibly a bit more rake, but it often allows you to get paid off an extra bet on the end when you have a scooper. The illusion of action, when the cost is minimal, is beneficial in all forms of stud. When it is actually positive EV, as I believe it is in this queens up case, it has a double benefit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2007, 06:14 PM

When I call 5th, do you honestly think that my opponent, who knows me, believes I have a weak hand?

Jeff
Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 PM

Good post.

Jeff
Old 03-22-2007, 06:57 PM

This I agree with - many in villain's spot would go into the river planning to bet-fold after they make two pair...and call anyway. And when they say kings up, they may be more hesitant to make thinnish VB's OOP against you in the future, making them more readable and easier to profit off.

Jeff
Old 03-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Queens up would be a ballsy checkraise on 6th for him after I call 5th (since I am likely able to beat queens up or, if not, won't bet if he checks). He's also not protected from a reraise if I made trips somewhere - based on where he raised on 3rd (and him seeing the guy fold out of turn), I would prob make it 450 with trips on 6th here.

Jeff