Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Flight Cancelled, Lose a Day of Vacation - Play?

So...I was supposed to fly out to Vegas this morning, connect in Charlotte and arrive at 1 pm. Due to the cancellation of my connecting flight, I am unable to leave until after 6 pm this evening and arrive in Vegas at 10 pm. It seems every single flight to Vegas (inc. other airlines, nearby airports, etc.) is booked so this was the only option and I had to take it.

My question is, I understand I'm not entitled to anything legally. But what can/should I ask for from customer service? This purchase was made two months ago, on the airlines website, and for (what I consider to be) a somewhat premium price. Is it possible to get a travel voucher, upgrade, etc., in this scenario?

Honestly, I have the worst luck traveling when it comes to delays, cancellations, etc.

Jeff
Old 06-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Flight Cancelled, Lose a Day of Vacation - Play?

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, I understand I'm not entitled to anything legally. But what can/should I ask for from customer service? This purchase was made two months ago, on the airlines website, and for (what I consider to be) a somewhat premium price. Is it possible to get a travel voucher, upgrade, etc., in this scenario?

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

USAir sucks for make up. Northwest cancels flights about twice an hour and coughs up $150 in air vouchers for an overnight and $50 if there is a later flight. Shoot for the $150
Old 06-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Hi Jeff,

My question is, I understand I'm not entitled to anything legally. But what can/should I ask for from customer service?

Write a letter to the airlines customer service office and state your complaint. Make it clear you feel you should receive compensation for the 9 hours you missed out on.

If worded well, you might get free tickets to Vegas.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:18 PM

Handwritten letter? I have six hours to kill lol. At least I'm in Vegas till Saturday!

Jeff
Old 06-24-2007, 12:24 PM

Oh you want instant gratification. In that case start dialing or find the customer service desk.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Jeff,

First, that sucks.
When they first came up to you saying your flight is cancelled, didn't they offer you come sort of compensation? At the least, they offer meal tickets for your delay in the airport. What you should go for is (but they really fight this) is a credit. If that's too hard, they might offer flight tickets for future travel. It is soooo very important that you get whatever they promise you in writing.

If none of this has happened, I'd walk up to the counter and talk to them, and if they're not being cooperative, go for manager. If you walk out of the airport without a written something, you're done.

Good luck at the poker tables. Try not to let this situation put a damper on the whole thing.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:54 PM

This all happened over the phone - they called me at 5:30 am to tell me (in an automated message the flight was canceled and to call and make other arrangements). So I did (my flight was supposed to leave from here at 8:45). The guy did all he could, but I mean - every flight is full or overbooked inc. other airlines, other airports, etc. This was the only option with seats - I could have left at same time this morning and sat in Charlotte for 6.5 hrs. I'd rather sit in my apartment.

But yea, I'm still psyched. I'm going to sleep on the plane and play till like 4 am when I get there to adjust to Vegas time.

But, as for your other question, they promised me nothing and technically don't have to give me anything since I was not bumped off a flight involuntarily, the flight was simply canceled. They were like, we can get you there earlier if you don't mind flying into San Diego and driving. I'm like - are you serious.

Jeff
Old 06-24-2007, 06:00 PM

Jeff,

Like Mike said, write a letter to customer service. Maybe send another copy addressed to the president of the airline as well. Be nice, but explain how disappointed you were by their cancellation and that by arriving at Vegas at 10pm, you basically just had time to eat dinner and go to sleep, so you basically wasted an entire day and just had to pay for a hotel. Hotel + dinner = $xxx that you had to spend without getting to enjoy any of your vacation. Also, you lost a whole day off from work which is a very big deal. You therefore feel you are owed some compensation for ruining x% of your vacation, those expenses, and some compensation for having to take a much worse flight than you had booked. That should result in you getting something, my guess would be airline vouchers for $100-200, but possibly more.