Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: KQo losing ground on the turn

UTG I think it is limping KQs is okay because it hopefully lets more limpers in before someone raises behind you. And it if nobody raises it is easier to get away from KQs when you get a bad flop. So I guess not raising KQs makes it an easier hand to play.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:05 AM

* g *

I think you can't fold now because it's 11.25:1 to you now and the others probably call behind too -> you're getting 11.25:1-13.25:1 on the call.

It is not a clear cut call though as your outs aren't necessarily clean. You might be against aces up, Q gives JT a straight, and there's two FD's there. Thin but I still peel.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:49 AM

limping here isnt that bad but raising is better

[ QUOTE ]
UTG I think it is limping KQs is okay because it hopefully lets more limpers in before someone raises behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

well your UTG+1 after a SLAG limps. You dont know if someone is raising behind you and some people (goodplayers, lags and maniacs) have a reasonably wide betting range then youll find yourself OOP in a multiway pot. I'd rather play it 2-3 handed with 'the lead' than 5-6way, especially when the flop is one like in OP.

[ QUOTE ]
And it if nobody raises it is easier to get away from KQs when you get a bad flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

same could be said for AKs too

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess not raising KQs makes it an easier hand to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

well we differ then. lets say we raise and get 3 bet. typical 3 bettors have a narrow range so ill be able to let go of my hand with more confidence postflop. compare this to when we limp then get raised....is he raising me the flop or turn with a worse kicker or a draw? hmmm...tough decisions coming. yep, by limping often basically ahve to hit the flop to win..when you raise you might actually take it down with a cbet UI when your opponents also miss.

raising is also good for shania
Old 11-25-2007, 06:39 AM

I actually think that raising is also good .. it might even be best to raise sometimes and limp sometimes your preference since they are both close.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think that raising is also good .. it might even be best to raise sometimes and limp sometimes your preference since they are both close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except they aren't close. You don't want to play KQ to a raise behind you because it does so poorly against a large chunk of raising hands. All hands are easy to play incorrectly. You are losing a lot of value limping this at the micros. What hands are you raising from EP? Probably not enough.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, if you think this is close between a raise and a call then I think you missed my points. It isnt close. This is a raise. Limping is asking for trouble. I dont mean to beat you up over this but getting preflop right is pretty important as it makes postflop easier. Also I just checked my dusty preflop chart and it says this is a call...but remember preflop charts are default plays only that are designed to keep people out of trouble whilst learning. they also cant cover that many situations so it is up to readers to figure out when to deviate whcih is half the fun and satisfaction of this crazy game. Once you get comfortable with the chart and your game if you want to get better then you gotta start taking off teh training wheels and this is an example of that.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 PM

Aaron:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm fine with the turn bet. It gets value out of the potential flush draw and gutshot straight draws that are out there. It also gets value out of a hand like Q9. There's no particular reason to think an ace is out there yet given all the flop coldcalls (which is often an indication of better than a naked A-high compared to if they had just called one bet).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a limit-based play? Given that the most-likely draws are something plus an ace OC? C'mon. *

Herman:

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'll find out right here if one of them does

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so you just found out. So, all this becomes is an outs vs. pot odds question, and you should at least take a shot a working that out for yourself.

*Edit: "charge the flush draw"? By giving them the right odds to call. O rly?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:26 PM

grunching:

Why didn't you raise preflop? You have a premium hand.

Yah, I think you are toasted here. UTG is not raising to protect his vulnerable hand. He is raising for value and looping the rest of the players in to pay him off. Prob he has top pair, and a flush draw to boot.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aaron:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm fine with the turn bet. It gets value out of the potential flush draw and gutshot straight draws that are out there. It also gets value out of a hand like Q9. There's no particular reason to think an ace is out there yet given all the flop coldcalls (which is often an indication of better than a naked A-high compared to if they had just called one bet).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a limit-based play? Given that the most-likely draws are something plus an ace OC? C'mon. *

*Edit: "charge the flush draw"? By giving them the right odds to call. O rly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Value betting is the primary skill of limit hold'em. You are trying to maximize on the small edges that the game allows. You make money if they call with a flush draw.

I don't agree with the premise that the most likely draws are something plus an ace OC. There are lots of gutshots out there, (QJ/QT/JT/87/86/76) plus a number of worse Kx hands (KQ/KJ/KT/K8s), some worse 9x hands (Q9/J9/T9), and flush draw hands.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:00 PM

Grunch:

Raise preflop. KQs has a decent edge and plays well both multiway and less.

Don't fold the turn. The pot's large, and while you probably don't have the best hand any more, you have sufficient outs and overlay (even discounting the hearts a bit) to call. Dump the river if you don't improve.