Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Once - (Movie recommendation)

I have never been so blown away by a movie as I was by Once. I HIGHLY recommend that everyone see it as soon as possible.

Don't worry, no plot spoilers below (at least in this post).

Basically, the movie is a musical. However, as far as I know, this is the only modern musical in existence (Are there others? Please post if so).

There is no spontaneous bursting into songs like you would expect in a musical. Instead, the music is actually part of the plot line.

The lead actor Glen Hansord is the lead singer of The Frames, and the lead actress is Marketa Irglova. She compliments him perfectly.

The plot line in the movie is very basic. Nothing really out of the ordinary. Just a nice simple story. The music, however, is just unreal beautiful.

If you already know my personal taste in music and don't like it, don't worry about that. The music in this movie is pretty universally likable. Seriously, if you don’t like this music, then you are a bad person. You are a terrible human being and do not deserve this movie. But don’t worry about that either, because you will like this movie and the music in it. IT’S THAT GOOD.

Unfortunately, the movie is only playing in a few major cities. If it's not playing near you, you can always buy the soundtrack.

If it is, I recommend seeing the movie before listening to any of the music. I think the movie will be much more enjoyable if you are hearing it for the first time.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Once - (Movie recommendation)

I've read some reviews on this and can't wait to see it.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:04 PM

I have heard a bunch of smart people say this is great, and I wish it were screening near me.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:53 AM

Isn't Dancer in the Dark a modern musical? I really dislike musicals, but actually thought that was a pretty good film/story.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 AM

What happened to the emotionless cyborg?

I'll definitely see it. I just spent a week in London and am at risk by being captivated by the romance of old cities with narrow streets and a British feel to them.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:24 AM

I really want to see this movie after just checking it out. Unfortunately I am guessing I would have to go to New York to see it. I guess I am waiting till it comes out on DVD.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:50 AM

Thanks Zeej, I'm going tomorrow...confirm this would be a great date movie, or no?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM

I saw it last night in SF at the Embarcadero theater, the only place it's playing here, though it will probably get a wider release because it's getting huge buzz.

I liked the film and would recommend it, though my reaction was more mixed than ZJ's. But I dunno, I don't want to gum up this thread so soon by saying anything specifically negative, and at the end of the day it was a definitely a good movie.

And I agree that that most everyone will like the music, for example my parents saw it over the w/e in Chicago and loved it--this isn't the kind of music they usually listen to but my mom was hinting that getting her the soundtrack would be a good gift idea. I think enjoying this music made her feel kind of cool.

To Georgia Ave, yeah it will be a good date movie, as long as there's no threat of her leaving the theater bummed that she isn't dating a bohemian guitar-strumming neo-romeo.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Zeej, I'm going tomorrow...confirm this would be a great date movie, or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. She will prolly fall in love with the main character which can work out well for you.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. She will prolly fall in love with the main character which can work out well for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly because I am a guitar-strummin boho romeo.

Review to come...