Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Jets V New England???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Weather may be a factor today. It calls for rain all day. I live a few miles from Gillette so I'll tyry to post an update later before KO.

Currently warm and damp. They also just resodded 2-3 weeks ago, so that field could go to sh*t quickly.

Regardless of weather, Jets seem to play Pats tough as of late.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the advice!! Nice little parlay for me there

[/ QUOTE ]

Any time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't they just go to field turf up there? Every year, the fiels is absolute crap by week 7 or 8, and they have to re-sod from hash to hash, which lasts until about December.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:07 AM

The bad turf is home field advantage for them. They aren't the fastest team in the league and the slow footing allows them to slow down their opponents before the opening kickoff.

The pats looked brutally slow and old today. Could be just a hangover effect after the Colts game last week, but i can't imagine bellichek not getting his team prepared to face his hated ex-assistand Mangini.

Did anyone else see bellichek totally blow off Mangini after the game. COuldn't even make eye contact.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bad turf is home field advantage for them. They aren't the fastest team in the league and the slow footing allows them to slow down their opponents before the opening kickoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this is one of those things that should be league regulated. It's not just slow footing, it's loose footing. Growing the grass long to slow down speedy players is one thing, letting the field get so bad that you risk slipping on a plant and tearing a groin or blowing out a knee is another.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:47 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2661830

I guess they finally came to their senses.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
letting the field get so bad that you risk slipping on a plant and tearing a groin or blowing out a knee is another.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't recall seeing any such injury caused by a wet field.

When your foot slips, you fall down, but your joints and muscles aren't put to too much stress.

On the other hand, when your foot gets stuck in the Astroturf, and your body keeps moving, THAT'S when injuries happen.

All I know is, as long as Peyton's Flying Circus is scheduled to come to town, and all of my WR's were recruited at the nearest Unemployment office, I'm not cultivating a fast track.

EDIT: I had never heard of "Field Turf" before reading that link. I've always been opposed to artificial surfaces, but if the players like this new stuff, who am I to complain?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
letting the field get so bad that you risk slipping on a plant and tearing a groin or blowing out a knee is another.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't recall seeing any such injury caused by a wet field.

When your foot slips, you fall down, but your joints and muscles aren't put to too much stress.

On the other hand, when your foot gets stuck in the Astroturf, and your body keeps moving, THAT'S when injuries happen.

All I know is, as long as Peyton's Flying Circus is scheduled to come to town, and all of my WR's were recruited at the nearest Unemployment office, I'm not cultivating a fast track.

EDIT: I had never heard of "Field Turf" before reading that link. I've always been opposed to artificial surfaces, but if the players like this new stuff, who am I to complain?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just the stuff I listed (although what I was talking about can happen. Plant your left foot to cut back right, and it just slides out. Your right foot, in a spot with traction, doesn't give way and you do an unexpected split).

I can't believe you've never heard of FieldTurf (or any of the variants)! Michigan has had it for several years (after their incompetence in the grounds crew led to a field like New England's). Most of the NFL teams in domes have gone to it, as have MLB teams.

As for worrying about speed:

- Is there anything to indicate that the "lost" speed is greater for fast guys than slow guys?

- FieldTurf's "speed" can be tweaked by how much "fill" you put down. They put shredded rubber (the black "dirt" that flies up when feet are dragged) down among the blades of "grass". More rubber/sand would make it a little slower, for example, without causing crappy traction.