Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 06:30 AM

Default First Post Here Ever - Call this all-in?

Hey guys. I'm sort of a PL newb, so this post might suck, and the answer might be ridiculously obvious. If it is, I apologize, and promise to make my next post better. So, do you call the following all-in? Thanks!

-Brass

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($87.40)
BB ($38.60)
UTG ($272.70)
MP ($47.90)
CO ($20.60)
Hero ($56)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, Hero calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($6) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $1</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $1, SB calls $1, BB calls $1, UTG folds.

Turn: ($10) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9.55</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $36.6</font>, MP folds, Hero?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Re: First Post Here Ever - Call this all-in?

I don't play much PLO8 but

I fold pf.

I fold turn to the raise. Not sure whether I like the bet.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:11 AM

I think you can fold turn. It's always possible that BB is getting tricky and only has NLD/NFD and is trying to bluff you, but I think he'll have T7xx here almost all the time.

And yah fold preflop. 23xx is a sucker hand to start with, 24xx is totally useless.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 AM

1. If you are a PLO8 newcomer I STRONGLY suggest you DON'T start out playing 6-max and stick to full ring...It's a helluva lot harder to play 6-max than it is full ring...
2. This hand CAN be playable in 6-max on the button if you want to mix up your game, but if I were to play it, it would most likely be for a raise...
3. While this hand CAN be playable as a way to mix up your game, you better be damn sure HOW to play it correctly and be able to get away from it if you don't hit it really hard...
4. As the hand is played MUCK...You could have taken a free card here and at the $100 level it is rare than an opponent will get overly tricky...If you want to PM me with your opponent's screen name I could probably tell you what he is up to since I have pretty much played with all the $100 level players...I'd bet my roll he has T7...

Now I'm not suggesting playing this hand all the time and certainly not suggesting playing it often out of position, but it is one of those hands that I'll play on occasions just to mind-f uck with my opponents so they can't put me on A2 or A3 or AA whenever I raise preflop...
Old 07-19-2007, 04:22 PM

If yer a newb, don't play tough hands! I would not play this hand in your spot. Maybe in a 6-max game if it were double suited and my opponents were LPs. As a new player, you are gonna get killed playing this kind of crap hand, especially in the more aggro, tougher, 6-max games.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:03 AM

I think the experts above are overdoing their criticism of your play.

Though your starting hand is marginal at best, it's of course permissible to limp from the button after three limpers, and you knew that. The same goes for your flop play.

I also like your turn bet. So far nobody showed any interest in that pot and you have the second nut straight plus a low draw.

After BB's all-in you face a difficult decision. For reasons mentioned by bbartlog it's by no means absurd to consider a call. If for instance there's any indication that BB might be steaming or you have been caught trying to steal pots earlier in the session a call is probably called for.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:26 AM

Its a fine starting hand especially if you can see a cheap flop with it. If you catch an ace on flop you are freerolling guys with A2KQ and similar great starting hand.
I will play such starter even full ring for one bet.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can fold turn. It's always possible that BB is getting tricky and only has NLD/NFD and is trying to bluff you, but I think he'll have T7xx here almost all the time.

And yah fold preflop. 23xx is a sucker hand to start with, 24xx is totally useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what most books for beginers say because the newbies will take a 234x hand and when the flop comes 876 they will try to play it for low and lose alot of money. So the authors advice to stay out of trouble.

But these are good hands if played properly and actually after reviewing my tracker 2345 is my biggest moneymaker.
If the ace flops there is usually alot of heat and you are ready for the battle I mean really ready, the pots you win will be huge.

You know A2xx with suits looks really sexy but unless you play with total donks you wont make much money when you flop the nut flush and nut low.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:03 AM

I guess I'd better stay away from 6-max for a while - omaha8s, thanks for that advice, and thanks to the rest of you for chiming in, too. Hopefully I'll be able to post something a little less crappy in the near future.

-Brass
Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 AM

Eh, its not crappy...We all gotta learn at some point...Hell I'm still learning myself...I think it'll be easier on yourself and your bankroll if you stick to playing full ring and to a certain extent "peddling the nuts"...Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying do that forever but I'd try to stay away from stuff that is gonna get you in trouble until you have a sixth sense about the game...