Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Why Russ Meyer Matters

Russ Meyer Obit

Of some interest:

' "I am the rural Fellini," Mr. Meyer once said, referring to the Italian filmmaker. "He liked women that were outrageously buxom, too. The difference is, his country looked upon him as a true artist."

In some ways, Mr. Meyer underestimated his renown. Several of his films are in the permanent collection in the Museum of Modern Art; others are deconstructed by Ivy League film students; and still more are shown at retrospectives. The director John Waters called "Faster, Pussycat, Kill! Kill!" (1965), about thrill-hungry go-go dancers in the desert, "beyond doubt, the best movie ever made." '

Indeed, I concur; whom am I to argue with John Waters.

Stills of the Pussycats

This reminds me of a sequence in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world done by Terry Thomas in which he waxes poetic on the immense importance and fixation America places on Women’s Breasts - stating emphatically the without large breasts the entire American economic system would collapse. This is so obviously a truism that it makes Russ Meyer even more important than anyone has ever given him credit for. Making him the fulcrum point and indeed the quintessential genius of American Film Art and Economics combined. A truly staggering achievement.

This is why going to see the new movie 'Balls of Fury' is a must for everyone that participates in this forum.

Balls of Fury

-Zeno
Old 09-04-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Why Russ Meyer Matters

I have no idea what that has to do with Balls of Fury, but will put a good word in for the Ebert-penned Beyond the Valley of the Dolls as one of the funniest films I've seen. It definitely has an eeriness in its conviction to take its hilariously over the top antics seriously that puts one in mind of a Waters film like Hairspray, with that film's odd verisimilitude to a world that couldn't possibly exist outside a very peculiar imagination, yet somehow feels unquestionably, even astonishingly right. I don't know what kind of 60's the young Ebert was living in while soaking in the pool in the Southern California sun with Meyers and his enormously-breasted vixens, but if it ever felt anything like real for a moment, I suppose Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was inevitable.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:37 PM

I watched Beyond the Valley of the Dolls with my frickin' grandparents. I was 14 and it may have been the single most uncomfortable moment of my life.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 PM

Haha I believe it. That movie was terrifically awkward in lots of places. Gotta love that Z-man, though.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what that has to do with Balls of Fury,....

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither do I. It just slipped out somehow; my fly must have been open. Anyway, I will be going to see 'Balls of Fury' in just a few momentos and will post a review for all the intellectually curious dudes with wild pompadours that grace this forum with their slick wit. Until then, hang on to your huevos.

Missed Valley of the Dolls but did catch Hairspray, which is a 4 star movie with all the trimmings.

-Zeno
Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 AM

Haven't seen any Meyer in years, except Faster Pussycat, which I had on pre-order when I heard it was coming out. LOVE THIS MOVIE.

It's one of the few movies I'd actually love to see a remake done, but by really good people. It'd be really easy to mess up.

And yes, Russ Meyer is important and a true auteur.

Story I heard from Roger Ebert when he asked Russ Meyer how he wanted to be remembered. Russ said he wanted on his grave this quote by Charles Keating:

"More than anyone else in his time, Russ Meyer was responsible for the decay in values in American Society"

under which Russ wanted carved:

"I was glad to do it - Russ"
Old 09-05-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Why Balls of Fury Matters

I paid only five bucks to see 'Balls of Fury'. It was five bucks well spent. I was not disappointed in the quality of the script, the fine textured cinematography, and the unparalleled acting tightly interwoven with the right amount of panache, heartache, sweet revenge, and ping-pong balls. The ending song belted out by the cast, and mixed with the credits and outtakes, padded the comedic genius of this skillfully crafted film.

As an added historical interest, in “You Can’t Cheat an Honest Man”, W.C. Fields engages in a singularly wild ping-pong match played at an engagement party. A high point in this film and one that “Balls of Fury” does justice to.

-Zeno
Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Faster Pussycat, which I had on pre-order when I heard it was coming out. LOVE THIS MOVIE

[/ QUOTE ]

It was on TV the other night. I DVRed it it and am looking very forward to it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 AM

This is my happening, and it freaks me out!

I'm a huge Russ Meyer fan. Seven of his films came out on DVD in France a few years ago before they were available in the States, and I snatched them up. Unfortunately, I think they translated the titles into French and back again, because I ended up with 4 movies with "Vixen" in the title, none of them remotely like the American titles.

Up! (aka Mega Vixens) is one of my favorite movies, and the dead fish table dancing scene in Vixen! makes me happy no matter what.

Bit of trivia: In Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and Up!, the same line is used. Both Ashley and Paul say (at least some variation of) "I'd like to strap you on sometime." This has always fascinated me, as it's a rather graphic pick-up line that can successfully, or not, be used by either sex.

One of his films, I forget which one, was being shown on public television in Amsterdam when I was there a couple years ago. It's the one that featured a man killing a woman in a bathtub with his bare hands. Very graphic and violent. I was surprised that something like that could be shown on public television. Europeans are fine with the nudity and all, but from my experience, they tend to shy away from showing violence on TV even more than Americans.

One more: Come into my den, said the spider... et cetera
Old 09-05-2007, 11:30 AM