Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 11:18 AM

Default first taste of high stakes, how is my play?

OK, so im not a high stakes player by any means. i play mostly higher heads up SNG and 9 person SNG. but recently i sat in with the full buyin in a 50-100 game on tilt (prob a bad decision right away). so heres the hand (sorry no converter, workin on it)

Frodooo - $3600
Lars Luzak - $10000
hero - $12000

ive been playin pretty tight aggressive. i just took down a good size pot against lars and we have been going back and forth but have seen few showdowns. i open from the button to 300 with Jh8h, lars reraise to 1000. frodooo folds and i make the call (yes not a great call), flop is KhTs2s. he checks i check, turn is a 6h. i bet 1400 he calls. river is a 7c. he checks, i bet 4000..

good, bad, terrible?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Re: first taste of high stakes, how is my play?

you're pretending to have a weak king or a T when neither would bet the river that big. your hand looks exactly like what it is. if he's any sort of player, he will call you when you're beat and raise you if you're not.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 AM

i think if he calls the turn he'll call river too because 7 didn't chance much.. I think you might get a fold from QQ or AT, but they will also look you up a fair amount. I'd prefer if you bet the 7 of spades rather than 7 of clubs...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 AM

yes, i was thinking he had a hand like AQ or AJ with maybe a combo draw, although i might have been raised on the turn with something like this, i thought a river bet could get him off one of these hands. i didnt think he had JJ or QQ since i think a huge majority of the time he bets the flop, i would not have fired if i thought he had QQ or JJ as i think i am definately getting called with one of those two hands.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:54 AM

Coincedentally I just saw this hand - ukdave right?
From my experience of lower stakes your bet on the river is not representative of a value bet. He thinks you think he is weak so how could he call a near PSB on the river?

I could not call the river but I would consider shoving. He made a sick call. I would be interested to know if others think you played it badly.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:56 AM

i played this guy the other day for a little bit. first off i wouldnt try a bluff like this on him, because he leans toward calling rather than folding.

Against most people, this is good if you have an image and look of value betting lightly, if you don't then this isn't good, because if you had a hand big enough for this, you would most likely be betting the flop.

If you are going to bluff here, I also would rather shove or really over bet than bet just the pot.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 PM

I don't see what you're representing, and Lars likes to make big calldowns.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 PM

ya its ukdave

i figured my tighter image would have him lean towards folding. i thought of shoving but i didnt want to have him thinking im some low stakes donk shoving the river on a missed draw. i wanted to make it look like a good value bet maybe slightly on the large side. maybe a shove would have been better, but i think hes calling that more often than my 4000 bet. i dont know. good call or terrible play by me, i cant decide.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:52 PM

yeah this river bet isn't going to work against lars....giving up is the best play imo
Old 06-26-2007, 12:56 PM

he's calling even if you shove