Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 10-26-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Do I need both ToP and SSHE

I am looking at the various 2+2 books (holdem poker, holdem for advanced players, sshe, and top) and trying to decide which ones to get. It seems that some of them have similiar structures from looking at the table of contents and I could maybe narrow it down to two texts: sshe and top

I am wondering if I should get both Theory of Poker and SSHE. I am on a little bit of a budget so I don't want to spend money for a rehash of material if I can get away with just buying SSHE. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Do I need both ToP and SSHE

If it makes a difference, I read Lee Jones' book and internet texas holdem.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Get both TOP and SSHE if you possibly can.

No way that either of those could be regarded as a rehash of the other.

Good Luck.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Do you play small stakes limit hold-em? Then SSHE is by far the best book you can get. But they don't really contain much of the same material. SSHE is much more of a "cook book" telling you what hands to play when, and TOP is much more generalized...it's almost all broad concepts that can apply to any poker game without giving specific situational recommendation.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM

OK thanks for the info. I am reading about 1 poker book a week for the past month so I should just pony up the dough and get both.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:26 PM

You still didn't answer what game you primarily play.

If you play limit holdem live 10/20 and under, SSHE is the BEST book ever written on loose/passive calling station type games.
It's a must have for all limit holdem players.

Theory of Poker is probably the best all around book on general concepts that apply to any type of poker game at any level.
This is also a must have.

If you play primarily online limit holdem "Holdem Poker for Advanced Players" may be best.
If you play primarily no limit just get TOP for now.
If you play primarily NL tourneys get Harrington on Holdem 1-3.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 PM

I am focusing on my small stakes limit holdem cash game right now. I want to keep reading and playing online with the goal of eventually playing live.

I was mostly playing in NL MTTs and SNGs off and on for the past 3 years, but the more I read about tourney strategy, the more I realized that a solid foundation in limit holdem would really benefit my poker knowledge (and give me another type of game that I could play).

The funny thing is that the more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know yet. I am at the point where I am starting to think more logically about my game and realize that I am not as good of a player as I thought I was.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was mostly playing in NL MTTs and SNGs off and on for the past 3 years, but the more I read about tourney strategy, the more I realized that a solid foundation in limit holdem would really benefit my poker knowledge (and give me another type of game that I could play).

[/ QUOTE ]

A solid foundation in Limit will help your over-all NL game. Don't listen to the min-bet haters. Plus, most other games such as Stud, Omaha, etc are mostly spread Limit, especially live.

Yes, get both. It can only help to learn more.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I need both ToP and SSHE

[/ QUOTE ]

Both books are a must read and in top5 (if not top3) of the best poker books ever so I highly recommend getting them both.

Also remember that both are not a type of book that you read but a type of book that you need to study.
There are lot of extremely important poker concepts in them and be prepared to invest much more time in them then a week per book.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:31 PM

Default yes.

you need both. both are great books.

ssh is great at explaining a lot of advanced hold em concepts and how to play. in practical terms it will teach you which hands to play, which hands to raise for a positive expectation, position, counting outs, odds, flop texture, protecting you hand, etc.

theory of poker is very different. i consider it the best and most important poker book ever written. it teaches you theory. it discusses, theory that applies to every decision you make at the table. basic game theory that applies to every decision you make in life. it covers why to raise, why to bluff, why calling is correct even if you think you are a dog to win a pot, playing hands deceptively, position, implied odds, theory of semi-bluffing, etc. you will read top several times after your initial read, and you will find that you reread this at least once a year for the next ten years.

and i also think that even though you are on a budget hpfap will more then pay for itself.