Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Default How did you pay for college?

I am a 22 year old college dropout and I've recently realized that I feel the need to go back to school and graduate. I have almost no credits, maybe 10 or so, so I'll basically be starting from scratch. Unfortunately I also don't have any money so I'd be starting with tomorrow's paycheck to save and pay for community college night classes while working during the day. I'm looking for any suggestions or stories on working while going to school (preferably full time) or how you paid for your college education. Fwiw I am hoping to get at least a bachelors degree although I am undecided in what it would be at the moment. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: How did you pay for college?

Are you still eligible for student loans?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 PM

you could get really good at poker
Old 10-25-2007, 11:36 PM

I don't know, but I assume I am? A little more background information on me. My parents are fairly wealthy but will not give me any money as I have blown through over 30,000 dollars of their money meant for college on drugs (mainly oxy) and alcohol. My credit rating is probably fairly bad so I'm sure that doesn't help with getting a loan and I doubt I could get a co-signer (if that's even possible?). Any specific things anyone would need to know to help answer my OP I can provide tonight or tomorrow. Thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 PM

Unfortunately with quitting drugs and alcohol I've also decided to give up poker temporarily. I've found that the swings in poker in the past have caused me to relapse on oxy and that is the last thing that I want at this point in my life. I'm looking for any suggestions outside of poker, or just stories/advice.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 PM

when you get your tuition bill just write it off.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 PM

What exactly would this entail? I know what you mean, just don't exactly know how to go about it. I suppose I could ask a tax CPA, but would prefer to know if this is possible before doing so. Thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 11:54 PM

I joined the National Guard, which paid 100% of my tuition at the college I go to.

Although, since you already attended college and racked up the debt, they probably won't repay that for you.

I think your drug problem is more important than your debt. Maybe you should work on the former before the latter.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:02 AM

I do agree that getting a handle on addiction would be best for college, but I also don't know how long I should wait or even if I should to get started with school. Fortunately for me I only have one dealer left and they left the country yesterday for good making quitting a little bit easier. I was planning on quitting anyway, and believe I will finally be able to do it, although nothing is for sure. I don't plan on starting college until January '08 at the earliest, so I would hopefully be sober for 3 months or so.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 AM

I paid mine with $20's from a night of shortstacking live $1/$2NL, the look on the lady's face was pretty good when I pulled out a roll of bills and paid like $2000 in tuition right there.