Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Absolute Scandal

Latest Cliff's Notes

Right now, there is extremely strong evidence that cheating has taken place on absolute poker. The method was to use an account that could view the hole cards of everyone at the table. AP has denied all claims, but there is a preponderance of evidence and the latest word is that one of the accounts belongs to a (current or former) VP of AP.

At any rate, I think the likelihood that there is a major scandal brewing is extremely high. Now the question is how will that story impact legislative efforts and the pro on line poker movement in general?

I think people like the PPA, and every poker site, needs to be thinking about this and developing their spin. Obviously I see this as more reason to regulate on line gaming and allow for US providers. The opposition will tout this as clear evidence that on line gaming is all rigged and corrupt and must be stamped out to protect US citizens.

I haven't seen anything about this in the legislation forum, hence this little post. I think this scandal will have a major impact on on line poker.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Absolute Scandal

The pols will want regulation which will not prevent these types of incidents.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pols will want regulation which will not prevent these types of incidents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think any US regulatory control will provide for a mechanism at least to get restitution if an incident like this occurs. It appears as if there really is no outside authority over AP. The gaming commission that regulates it owns it was the impression I got. (I think it is a Canadian tribe that owns it, but I am not sure).

It sure looks right now that the corruption goes straight to the top and there is no real action anyone can take other than boycotting the site. One thing that US regulation could require is that the providing site is incorporated in a WTO country.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:06 PM

I am going to view this as test for the PPA. They need to get out in front of this and be prepared for the inevitable MSM coverage. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Regulation could do a lot more, and protect us players in a number of good ways (it could also hurt us in a number of ways, depending on the actual regulatory scheme). Certainly If Absolute were somehow subject to US jurisdiction, complaints, findings, compensation and possible criminal charges would be possible.

Unfortunately, this level of intelligence seems far above that capable of the average American (call me a cynic). The average joe who doesnt already play will let a sensational story like this confirm his worst fears that the poker sites are all rigged cheaters just like old time riverboat gamblers. They should all be shot goddammit.

For most people no amount of reasoned argument will convince them that it is, in fact, the absence of legal US framework that lets a dirty site get away with cheating. The fun emotional appeal of identifying a "scumbag" and stringing them up (even though its only figuratively) is too compelling for most humans, at least Americans (Europeans seem slightly better at avoiding this, though far from immune). So it must be best to make these "predators" go away by "banning" them.

In other words, while the Absolute scandal is in reality evidence to support our cause, the tabloids and FOFers will spin it against us, probably quite effectively.

Skallagrim
Old 10-17-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think people like the PPA, and every poker site, needs to be thinking about this and developing their spin. Obviously I see this as more reason to regulate on line gaming and allow for US providers. The opposition will tout this as clear evidence that on line gaming is all rigged and corrupt and must be stamped out to protect US citizens.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, and if we're talking spin (vis-a-vis why it should be regulated and not outlawed), we need to emphasize that poker is an American game with a rich and deep history of folklore intertwined with the country itself. Outlawing Americans from playing the most American game on Earth seems, well, kind of un-American. If the government wants to protect its citizens, it needs to ensure that they can play poker like they want to, from the comfort of their own home, secure that they won't be cheated.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Nath, you are a freakin' genius.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Nath makes a great point. Everyones talking about how this will hurt online poker. IMO this should hurt AP and anyone associated with them, keep the other sites out of it and let us innocent folks keep on playing
Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 PM

Ooops, wrong thread, please delete.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:28 PM

Well, I don't read Card Player, but I doubt they have the courage to pull its AP advertizing and run a story on the cheating. And Card Player is most of the board at the PPA. So you tell me what you think they are going to do?