Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Fighting fire with fire

[ QUOTE ]
As a male, the urge to hump everything in sight is almost impossible to control at 20. The fact that you don't distinguishes us from the animals. This is the nub of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true about distinguishing us from animals. We are more alike than different in that we do what best propagtes our species. Since humans take a long time to develop, it makes sense that we tend to stay with our mates longer to help raise offspring. Some other species behave this way, and some don't (some propgate their species better by having more babies from more partners, for example). Your comments are very human-centric and fail to appreciate the efforts of animals to propagate their species--unfortunately, such viewpoints are very correlated with the "family values" crowd for some reason.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:10 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img][ QUOTE ]
Your comments are very human-centric and fail to appreciate the efforts of animals to propagate their species--unfortunately, such viewpoints are very correlated with the "family values" crowd for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, I know you're not advocating forcing family values, I'm just trying to understand what exactly they are [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Is there anything else besides premarital abstinence?

[/ QUOTE ]
I suppose things like not doing drugs (avoids addiction and doing unpleasant things as well as overdosing), not drinking till you're "of age" (let's your body develop better, learn to have a good time without needing alcohol), studying hard (do well in school, get into college), and probably a host of others. You aren't just asking so you can tear all these down, are you? It would only prove my point that some values are not for everybody.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img][ QUOTE ]
Your comments are very human-centric and fail to appreciate the efforts of animals to propagate their species--unfortunately, such viewpoints are very correlated with the "family values" crowd for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why confused? He stated that animals just hump everything in sight. That's not necessarily the case. However, many on the far right view animals in a similarly simplistic fashion and think humans are somehow inherently different than other species.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not true about distinguishing us from animals. We are more alike than different in that we do what best propagtes our species. Since humans take a long time to develop, it makes sense that we tend to stay with our mates longer to help raise offspring. Some other species behave this way, and some don't (some propgate their species better by having more babies from more partners, for example). Your comments are very human-centric and fail to appreciate the efforts of animals to propagate their species--unfortunately, such viewpoints are very correlated with the "family values" crowd for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. As far as that goes, some birds (geese and swans) are much more faithful monogamists than people. Actually, both parents participating in raisng the young is a lot more common in birds than mammals. For most mammals, the male's only role is to mate, and the female does all the work of raising kids. There are some exceptions. Wolves form pair bonds, but usually only the alpha pair reproduce, and the rest of the pack helps feed their cubs.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a male, the urge to hump everything in sight is almost impossible to control at 20. The fact that you don't distinguishes us from the animals. This is the nub of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true about distinguishing us from animals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but no animal that I know of has consciencely changed their instinctual behavior. You can train an animal to express out of character behavior but it's not an act of conscience.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:19 PM

The moment you equate humans with animals then all bets are off. Animals tolerate a range of behavior which I would find uncomfortable. I know you would too if you give it a little thought.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true about distinguishing us from animals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but no animal that I know of has consciencely changed their instinctual behavior. You can train an animal to express out of character behavior but it's not an act of conscience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a very dubious statement. What defines instinctual? Animals all have different personalities and act differently, just like humans do. Could what we think of as changing our nature reallybe nothing but an expression of our inborn instinct?

There are many species which have drastically changed their behavior in order to survive in a modern world. Monkeys in Africa/India/Asia act very different when they live in our cities then when they live in the woods. Have they changed their instinct? Or are these adaptations merely a further expression of their instincts?
Old 03-05-2006, 07:28 PM

"He stated that animals just hump everything in sight."

Negative. I wrote:
"As a male (human), the urge to hump everything in sight is almost impossible to control at 20. The fact that you don't distinguishes us from the animals. "

Show me the animal that consciencely supresses the urge to mate.

"However, many on the far right view animals in a similarly simplistic fashion and think humans are somehow inherently different than other species."

That strike me as a most profound difference.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"He stated that animals just hump everything in sight."

Negative. I wrote:
"As a male (human), the urge to hump everything in sight is almost impossible to control at 20. The fact that you don't distinguishes us from the animals. "

Show me the animal that consciencely supresses the urge to mate.

"However, many on the far right view animals in a similarly simplistic fashion and think humans are somehow inherently different than other species."

That strike me as a most profound difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe your post proves my point. Let others decide for themselves.