Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: thoughts on armenian genocide

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm..President Bush was appalled by the atrocities committed by Saddam, but he wants to sweep Turkey's horrendous atrocities under the carpet. President Bush has been exposed for the charlatan he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

or maybe, just maybe, the ottoman empire isn't turkey, and he doesn't want to go pissing an ally off...

srsly, what happened to the democrats and diplomacy and all that nonsense?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm..President Bush was appalled by the atrocities committed by Saddam, but he wants to sweep Turkey's horrendous atrocities under the carpet. President Bush has been exposed for the charlatan he is.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is even worse than you think....
Bush is sweeping the attrocities of Ghengis Khan, Caligula, Kubla Khan, and Crassus. He was sworn to keeps these attrocites secret. A promise extracted from his pals in Skull-and-Bones and his pals in the Bohemian Grove Society... This man is EVIL!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

and to think all genocide could be prevented with symbolic resolutions condemning governments that haven't been in power for 75 years or more.

Good news is, in 75 years, maybe we can get one on Darfur.

RB
Old 10-12-2007, 01:24 AM

Turkeys overreaction to a simple statement by congress is hilarious. They KNOW Bush had nothing to do with it and tried to stop it and yet they still overreact like crazy. Turkey got some issues.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turkeys overreaction to a simple statement by congress is hilarious. They KNOW Bush had nothing to do with it and tried to stop it and yet they still overreact like crazy. Turkey got some issues.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno, I'd get pretty uppity if Congress starting comparing my practices to Auschwitz.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know a lot about history( I actually didnt even knew armenians had been killed on turkey) but aparently Turkey is denying the armenian genocide. So whats up with that? Did the genocide actually happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it happened. It is one of the first organized genocides in modern european history. Some 1.5 million people were killed. Turkey refers to it is as 'mass killing' so they don't deny that the event took place at all. It is however illegal to call it a genocide/teach that it is one within Turkey.

Basically to qualify as genocide it has to be the systematic and delibarate eradication of a specific group of people. Mass killing is when civilians are unfortunate casualties of war/similar - not an unusual incident.

The slaughter of Armenians were in essence approved by parliament when they passed legislation that the military could deport any armenian and seize their property. Alot of 'transit camps' which were built were in effect nothing but concentration camps. So you got a number of dead crossing the million, you got legislation that made it possible, you got alot of camps they were killed in and a ton of mass graves. It is a fairly easy puzzle. And then we haven't even touched the horrible atrocities that took place - suffice to say any comparison to holocaust is completely legit.

Calling this a mass killing is pretty much like calling stabbing your neighbour 48 times involuntary manslaughter.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 AM

I like Turkey, the name. Not necessarily for a country. For a country, I don't like it. A bird or a doofus, sure. Basically I just like the name, its funny. Like John David Booty.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Bush had any integrity, he'd tell Turkey not to bother buying a return ticket for their ambassador. I can't say I'm surprised by Bush's hypocrisy. After all, this is the man that said he didn't believe the military should be used for "nation-building."
Old 10-12-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are much more pressing, devastating, and relevant human rights issues that urgently require debate and discussion right now--like the former Zaire collapsing into another pan-African war. It's pretty appalling to me that democrats capitalize on such an old conflict for their own political gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true, but what are the odds that Congress will actually talk about those things even if they aren't talking about Armenians?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7040366.stm

It seems that was a genocide in Turkey; 90 or so years ago. However, it dose not make sense to me why the House Foreign Relations Committee had a vote on declaring it a genocide.
Specifically when it was very clear that doing so would piss of a key ally all the while the US is occupying one Turkey's neighboring country.
Can anyone make the case why this vote was a good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was morallly right!?

Wait... This is a US House Commitee vote, right! Ah no, then they were wrong! :P

PS Could it be a payback for Turkey not making its territory available to invasion US forces prior to the Iraq war?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno, I'd get pretty uppity if Congress starting comparing my practices to Auschwitz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if they were comparable?