Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: some facts/opinions on A-rod

facts:

since the Dave Roberts steal, A-Rod is 4-47 with 2R and 0RBI in the playoffs.

since joining the Yankees, he's 0-13 in games where his team faces elimination, and very few of them have gotten out of the infield

opinions:

does that mean anything? maybe. maybe not
Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fans will boo him out of NY, but they will be retarded.

Jeter had a 6-44 stretch in the playoffs before.

[/ QUOTE ]

along with a monster 1-8 .125/.125/.125 line through 2games right now

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but he has calm eyes, so all is forgiven.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
facts:

since joining the Yankees, he's 0-13 in games where his team faces elimination, and very few of them have gotten out of the infield

opinions:

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people choose some arbitrary point at Game 5 of the ALCS a few years ago to start talking about his numbers? I thought the point was he couldn't perform in the playoffs. Oh wait, his playoff numbers are pretty good. I thought the point was he couldn't perform in the playoffs in NEW YORK because ZOMG there is so much pressure in NY that other playoff games don't even count. Oh wait, his numbers aren't that good but they aren't really bad enough for us to make our ridiculous, exaggerated point. Lets pick this point here because he is in a slump right now and it will make it look way worse.

I wonder, if you asked 100 random baseball fans, what A-rods career postseason BA is, what they would say? I think they'd probably average around .150 or something. And thats EXACTLY because of selecting only the last 40 ABs or whatever. This type of selection bias is really pretty terrible and dishonest, IMO.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
facts:

opinions:

[/ QUOTE ]

since i crashed my car on wednesday we've had record high temperatures every day.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
facts:

opinions:

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people choose some arbitrary point at Game 5 of the ALCS a few years ago to start talking about his numbers? I thought the point was he couldn't perform in the playoffs. Oh wait, his playoff numbers are pretty good. I thought the point was he couldn't perform in the playoffs in NEW YORK because ZOMG there is so much pressure in NY that other playoff games don't even count. Oh wait, his numbers aren't that good but they aren't really bad enough for us to make our ridiculous, exaggerated point. Lets pick this point here because he is in a slump right now and it will make it look way worse.

I wonder, if you asked 100 random baseball fans, what A-rods career postseason BA is, what they would say? I think they'd probably average around .150 or something. And thats EXACTLY because of selecting only the last 40 ABs or whatever. This type of selection bias is really pretty terrible and dishonest, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's completely standard thinking though for Joe Six-Pack as somebody said earlier, and even for most broadcasters and analysts.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fans will boo him out of NY, but they will be retarded.

Jeter had a 6-44 stretch in the playoffs before.

[/ QUOTE ]

along with a monster 1-8 .125/.125/.125 line through 2games right now

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but he has calm eyes, so all is forgiven.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, unless you add a couple fruit-flies to the equation, then he's spazzing out like a retarded 12 year old.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
facts:

opinions:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's completely standard thinking though for Joe Six-Pack as somebody said earlier, and even for most broadcasters and analysts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I mean honestly, we shouldn't really consider Papi to be clutch since he hit all those late homeruns but he wasn't playing for the Yankees at the time. We all know thats when the pressure is REALLY on. Until he is traded to the Yankees and hits 5 or 6 walk-offs, Papi is just another regular-season stud, right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Look in Moneyball Billy Beane would think too much in the box and despite all the tools, he couldn't hit. Lenny Dykstra is not too bright, but with much less talent, could rake. You have all seen what the mind can do to pitchers like Ankeil, etc, or second baseman, they lose it in insane ways.

So pressure could be at work here. There could be an element of not handling the big stage the same way as normal. A-Rods approach MIGHT be changing, while Manny does his work and prepares and has figured out in the box how to relax and "think about one thing" or "see the ball, trust myself...". This might be A-rod in the regular season, but his failures in the post season, the NY fans, Jeter, it all might have conspired to overwhelm him.

Do I think this is the case? I doubt it. Could easily be the case that he is facing better pitching, bad luck, and normal variance over 40-50 AB. Players go through streaks like this all the time.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Fact - he sucks in the playoffs

Opinion - he won't be a Yankee next year
Old 10-06-2007, 02:45 PM

His postseason average with Seattle was .340 (18-53)

With New York it is .224 (19-85)

Overall is .268