Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Suggestion

Apologies for a forum related thread. I don't come here to read this stuff either.

First, I am assuming the software allows one to ban someone from posting on a forum by forum basis.

It seems to me that a lot of people get accounts banned for being trolls or sucking in general in a particular forum. I think a better tact for people like that is to ban them from that specific forum rather than banning them from all. Certainly, there are some offenses that merit account or IP ban immediately (e.g. posting really offensive inline pics), I don't think trolling or being a bit of a jerk is one.

It just seems that a policy to kick someone off all the forums because they say cannot control themselves when they get into an argument in politics is a bit extreme and counter productive. Also, it is impossible to be consistent with fuzzy guidelines.

On the other hand, viewing the forums as fiefdoms under the auspices of the mods of that forum seems fine. If they (the mods) want to boot you from their domain, or restrict your ability to start threads for offenses that are hard to objectively quantify, so be it. I am not suggesting that someone be allowed to troll and troll until they run out of forums, but rather that account bans should be for universally accepted banable offenses (i.e. things outlined in the site's terms and conditions) or for repeat offenders across multiple forums of the fuzzier or (sub) forum specific rules.

On a sub forum level, I think the ban stick should be used with reckless abandon.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Suggestion

fnord,

Generally speaking that's not a bad idea. However, the current software doesn't allow for exiling posters from anywhere but OOT. Thus it would require an entire forum's mods to coordinate who is not welcome etc.

While I can think of at least one non-OOT exile (Nielso from Politics) I also want to point out that it's actually pretty hard to get kicked out of the forums. A much easier solution is to play nice and not repeatedly break the rules.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fnord,

Generally speaking that's not a bad idea. However, the current software doesn't allow for exiling posters from anywhere but OOT. Thus it would require an entire forum's mods to coordinate who is not welcome etc.

While I can think of at least one non-OOT exile (Nielso from Politics) I also want to point out that it's actually pretty hard to get kicked out of the forums. A much easier solution is to play nice and not repeatedly break the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I thought you could just ban people from any forum. Bah, one post to kill my whole premise, thanks tuq!

I agree that it is better not to be an idiot, or to practice avoidance if you cannot control yourself in certain venues, but we are talking about people here.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:42 PM

wtf tuq you usually make like 14 joke posts but on this one because of who the topic is about you answer seriously right away?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:44 PM

free istewart.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:00 PM

metsandfins,

I made that post before I went to POG and put together that BobO was who he was referring to. Once in awhile I give serious answers. I've been as thoughtful as I know how in handling that thread, but it's clear that no matter how clearly it's explained MEbenhoe is going to be pure evil to some people, and durron a vile traitor unwilling to stick up for his own. Internet drama el oh el.

All, in case you weren't aware, BobOjedaFan has been permabanned.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
metsandfins,

I made that post before I went to POG and put together that BobO was who he was referring to. Once in awhile I give serious answers. I've been as thoughtful as I know how in handling that thread, but it's clear that no matter how clearly it's explained MEbenhoe is going to be pure evil to some people, and durron a vile traitor unwilling to stick up for his own. Internet drama el oh el.

[/ QUOTE ]
Free Barabbas
Old 10-01-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
free istewart.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft, imo
Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
metsandfins,

[/ QUOTE ]

tuq: you have been candid and honest and i appreciate that. I am not even mad at mebenhoe either. I am a little disappointed in durron's reaction though. And i am disappointed in bobo for acting like a child after the ban which i agree rules out any chance of an overturning at this point

and i am disappointed in you for being the first answer in atf without it being a level -- it's just not you
Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 PM

BobO was terrible anyway.