Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Re: new dvd\'s coming out

Stox,

Why don't you have a fancy blue title?

It is a 4dvd set with two of each, at least that is what I think I read when I ordered it today.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 PM

I'm generally down on DVDs as learning tools, although the same company did Ed's & Rolf's and they were both excelent. So I'll probably buy stox's videos too.

Hey stox, 3 Q's for you:

1) Did you have to go to England to produce the vids?

2) Why didn't/don't you make a compilation video of several vids from your Web site and sell them direct?

3) Can you PM Taylor Caby and ask him to release some vids through Expert Hold'em?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And how different this is from the usual videos on Stox' site, was there some info he was withholding from the subsscribers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen them yet, but I would expect that the DVDs would be more structured and expansive. Playing along with Stox on his usual videos, his commentary is restricted to the situations that happen to come up as well as limited by the time between hands.

There's bound to be overlap, just as there is between the book and the videos. I expect the different formats to compliment each other. Whether the marginal utility is sufficient to justify the expense remains to be seen. However, based on his previous efforts, I'd say it's a good bet that it is.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is retarded, why mix limit and no limit?
And how different this is from the usual videos on Stox' site, was there some info he was withholding from the subsscribers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if LHE and NL is "mixed" I think it might be a 4 DVD set with two NL and two LHE videos but I'm not sure what the producer decided on that front. We filmed for 3 days over a year ago and I played plenty of both types of game.

I didn't hold anything back in either so there will certainly be overlap, in fact I think it's a bit crass to even imply I would do something like that.

If you feel you are too good for the stoxpoker videos, you will probably feel the same about these videos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said, that the videos on your site weren't good, i liked them (that's why i am saying, what could be in the dvd, that wasn't in those videos before?).I didn't mean for it to come out like you have been withholding info on purpose, don't be offended, please.

And regardin Nl and limit mix, i am not sure there are a lot of people currently that what to learn both at the same time.For example, i would be very interested in those Nl DVDs, but i have no interest whatsoever in limit ones, but as i understand - i will have to purchase the whole set.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
And regardin Nl and limit mix, i am not sure there are a lot of people currently that what to learn both at the same time.For example, i would be very interested in those Nl DVDs, but i have no interest whatsoever in limit ones, but as i understand - i will have to purchase the whole set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably won't form this question correctly but I will give it a shot anyway.

Why do NL players seem to think that only books, etc. labeled as a "NL" book could possibly be of any benefit?

I'll bet there are some NL players that wouldn't read TOP because it isn't a "NL" book.

NL is still poker, isn't it? I realize there are adjustments to be made for bet sizes, differences in implied odds and other factors but there are always adjustments to be made in any form of poker.

Maybe NL isn't really poker. I can see parallels to slot machine play. when you are willing to call a raise with an inferior hand hoping to flop good and win a big pot, you are somewhat similar to a slot player, taking the worst of it on a slot pull hoping to hit.

I probably just kicked the hornet's nest but it is something I wonder about from time to time.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just picked them up. They start shipping tomorrow (Wed)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ordered. Good job being first with these. Keep the extra buck as a tip. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And, they're here! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 AM

udevil if you coul;d give us a review of the stox dvd's we would appreciate it
Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe NL isn't really poker. I can see parallels to slot machine play. when you are willing to call a raise with an inferior hand hoping to flop good and win a big pot, you are somewhat similar to a slot player, taking the worst of it on a slot pull hoping to hit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course NL is real poker! It's real poker because it's about what all forms of poker are about: making less mistakes than your opponents.

A slot machine pays you off every single time you hit, no matter what. Your opponents don't. But if they do then you've won the battle of mistakes. You made a rather slight mistake (for instance, investing small amounts of money before the flop with the odds against you) in order to profit from your opponents' big mistakes (for instance, investing huge amounts of money after the flop with the odds destroying them).
Old 08-15-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
udevil if you coul;d give us a review of the stox dvd's we would appreciate it

[/ QUOTE ]

These DVDs are titled "High Stakes", meaning $50/$100 limit HE and higher and astronomical no limit stakes. I'm a small stakes player, so the strategy elements of the DVDs don't have great relevance to my games. For that reason, I don't feel qualified to give a real review, but I will make some comments.

There are 2 limit DVDs and 2 NL DVDs in the set. In each case, there is sort of a miscellaneous hands DVD and a DVD that includes hands that were played for particularly big pots. There is no clear organization or structure beyond this. No basic topics are discussed and Stox assumes his viewers can follow his discussion without defining terms or concepts. There is little general strategy discussion. Instead, he quickly touches on a wide range of topics as they come up during the play of selected hands.

The presentation is similar to the StoxPoker videos except that the ExpertHoldem graphics are substituted for the poker site software. This is good since it removes distractions like software beeps and buzzes, ringing phones, dinner calls, accidental timing out, PokerTracker issues, multi-tabling hassles, and so on. Since it is (mostly) not in real-time, Stox has time to more fully explain his thought process.

As to the issue of whether or not the set provides value beyond the StoxPoker videos for members of Stox' site, I'm not sure. Keeping in mind that the audience is already somewhat limited by the strictly high-stakes subject, I'd say "maybe". I believe there are relatively few high-stakes videos on StoxPoker, and from what I recall of these, Stox tends to limit his strategy discussion. The reasons he gives are that he has to concentrate more and he doesn't want his regular opponents who may see the videos to get too much information on how he plays or what he thinks of their play. In the DVDs, his own and his opponents' screennames aren't shown, so that isn't an issue. His discussion on the DVDs is more expansive than in the videos, so the DVDs may well have great value for high-stakes players. But again, I'm in no position to judge the strategy content.

I'll make an exception to that for the "big pots" limit DVD. In this case, the pots are mostly multi-way, so the strategy is relatively sraight-forward and not particularly revealing to anyone who has read Small Stakes Hold'em. However, it does have some gee-whiz value if for no other reason than that some of the pots are my bigger than my career earnings.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 AM

thanks very much for the review.