Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Leaked

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't people who do this have a scanner that outputs text.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it's a lot faster to take pictures most likely, unless you have some really fancy (expensive) scanner that is specifically made for books.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 PM

Yeah a lot of OCR is pretty much teh suck.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it's a lot faster to take pictures most likely, unless you have some really fancy (expensive) scanner that is specifically made for books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, my scanner will scan a page and output text in PDF form. I thought this was pretty standard.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah a lot of OCR is pretty much teh suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't need to scan this OCR to do a better job then this though, just regular scan as an image would suffice

I Downloaded it as well, it seems legit enough since I mean what did they find like 10 copies of the last one in a field somwhere? anyway the reason that it may not be is where is a picture of the cover
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM

The site is down, someone pm me thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, my scanner will scan a page and output text in PDF form. I thought this was pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wtf dude. Have you ever seen a book? Can you ballpark the ways in which it might be harder to scan an entire book into text than it would be to scan an individual sheet of paper?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wtf dude. Have you ever seen a book? Can you ballpark the ways in which it might be harder to scan an entire book into text than it would be to scan an individual sheet of paper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but even if you didn't want to ruin the binding, there are plenty of scanners that are quicker to use than digital cameras. I've had to scan in books before and it would probably take <45 minutes for this book.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but even if you didn't want to ruin the binding, there are plenty of scanners that are quicker to use than digital cameras. I've had to scan in books before and it would probably take <45 minutes for this book.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's fair to say that the average scanner would take longer than 45 minutes to scan a 600 page book, while the time it would take with a camera will be pretty much the same across models.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's fair to say that the average scanner would take longer than 45 minutes to scan a 600 page book, while the time it would take with a camera will be pretty much the same across models.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan - why can't he just use the scanner that Bud Fox used in Wall Street?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan - why can't he just use the scanner that Bud Fox used in Wall Street?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahaha, good idea.